Is Barrel Topping Really Necessary? Test started today...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anthony, without a doubt topping up is necessary. The wine that I didn't top off was/is drinkable but comparatively akin to a half a bottle left open overnight from last night's dinner - drinkable but displaying the effects of oxygen. The topped off wine was/is fresh, fruity and worth the extra effort to top off every month. Lesson learned: TOP OFF EVERY MONTH!

I have the exact numbers in my office to show how it changed throughout the six months. I'll pull those and get them to you.

Let me know if you need anything else.
but often that wine is even better the 2nd night. when you say “showing effects of oxygen” what do you mean specifically?

the fact that the untouched barrel was not spoiled is interesting. and the other being more fresh and fruity— could that just mean it’s nit as far along the aging path? since those are traits of young wine.

once o2 effects stop improving and start to decline isn’t the first noticeable effect the color? and wine starts to brown.
I’m wondering if not topping actually helped mature the wine faster but you just preferred the other. just spitballing here. think this is possible? or was it blatantly obvious?

Stupid question, Should you be disturbing the barrel? Why Oxidized Wines Are Bad but Oxidative Wines Are So Good . From what I have been reading in many links the oxidative wines of Jura in France, rely on a film of mold developing over the wine to prevent them becoming over oxidized.

Edit another link on Oxidized wine making Ask a Somm: What Are Oxidative Wines?. It seems its all down to controlling the amount of oxygen getting to your wine, whether it is mold, or some other method. I dont think I will try this on purpose.

Last edited:
For citrus wines, I suspect the acid has something to do with it.

Oranges, Grapefruits and Lemons have much higher levels of antioxidants, than in grapes. Could this be the reason fruit wines don't oxidize so easily. A chemist might know?

Edit I dont understand the following BUT Quinones might have some thing to do with it. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/229310928_Oxidation_mechanisms_occuring_in_wines
"
Non-enzymatic oxidation, also called chemical oxidation of wine,
prevails in fermented wine and begin by the oxidation of polyphenols containing a catechol or a galloyl group.
These phenolic reactions, both enzymatic and non-enzymatic, result in by-products named quinones.
However, in non-enzymatic oxidation, oxygen does not react directly with phenolic compounds. The
limitation on the reactivity of triplet oxygen is overcome by the stepwise addition of a single electron, which
can be provided by reduced transition metal ions, essentially iron(II) and copper(I). The sequential electron
transfer leads to the formation of hydroperoxide radical (HOO

), hydrogen peroxide (H
O
), and hydroxyl
radical (HO

). The later radical will oxidize almost any organic molecule found in wine and will react with the
first species it encounters,depending on their concentration. Sulfur dioxide (SO
) and ascorbic acid, when
added to wine, are able to reduce the quinones. Alternative options have been assessed for the prevention of
oxidation during wine storage; nevertheless, these are not fully understood or commonly accepted
"

Last edited:
A chemist might know?
You have exceeded my memory of chemistry. However, antioxidants may play a key roll.

The comment on ascorbic acid explains why it's in a lot of packaged foods.

When I first read the post I thought "quinones" was "quinoa". I was mystified why a South American grain would be in wine ..... 😋

Interesting! I have a some fruit wines, and have noticed they don't appear to oxidize, when we only drink part of a bottle. Where as with grape wine it oxidizes over night. Do citrus fruits lack some chemical makeup that grapes have allowing them to oxidize?
i have only every only done country wines, there's been time's,, that I've drank half a bottle and set the other half down beside the night stand, i just flip the cork upside down give it a slap to reseal, and a week later or more, when i go to pour me another glass it is still the same as when i opened it, if not better for letting it breath, my red fruit wines i like to open an hour before pouring, I've never done a grape, but from what I've read, they are way more Complicated,,,
Dawg

Anthony, without a doubt topping up is necessary. The wine that I didn't top off was/is drinkable but comparatively akin to a half a bottle left open overnight from last night's dinner - drinkable but displaying the effects of oxygen. The topped off wine was/is fresh, fruity and worth the extra effort to top off every month. Lesson learned: TOP OFF EVERY MONTH!

I have the exact numbers in my office to show how it changed throughout the six months. I'll pull those and get them to you.

Let me know if you need anything else.

I remember several years ago, a winery made a big name for itself and developed a cult following for its oxidated wines. the funny thing is, the owner admitted it was the result of pure negligence and laziness of not wanting to top off his barrels.

Back