Is anyone in PA selling growlers?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Mar 29, 2023
Reaction score
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi all, I'm looking for some insight in PA law concerning growlers with wine. I'd like to sell growlers of ciders, meads and wines at my shop, but everything I can find online has to do with beer.

I worked for a meadery in Texas that did 1 liter growlers. I know that packaged wine has specific volumes to follow, so I figured I would stick with that, 1 liter or 750 ml. So I know in the US it's allowed federally.

This page from the brewers association differentiates growlers as glasses or bottles based on when they're filled, and I plan to treat them like "glasses". The TTB's "Growler" Policy
So the idea is I would have our branding, volume, government warning, and our information printed on the growlers, but because they're "glasses" and not "bottles", I shouldn't need to fill out ingredients, ABV, etc. nor need label approvals.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. We plan to start mostly by selling out of our tasting room, and we like the idea of growlers as a reusable container, but I want to make sure its possible before ordering.


Kaptin Winemaker
Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2021
Reaction score
I have no experience with this but if I were in your shoes, I would probably seek legal advice, just to be sure. I wouldn't want to deal with the legal consequences of getting it wrong.