Is "Anti-oxidant" powder the same as ascorbic acid?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ascorbic acid use has been recommended for delicate wines, usually white wine, that often brown easily. The main issue is that you have to be sure to have enough free sulfite present before the ascorbic acid is added. The full article from WSU starts on page 9 of the following news letter.

Attachments

• Washington State University News 2012-Fall-FINAL.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Sort of curious why a book clearly written for those starting out, would contain directions for use of something that, without proper conditions, could adversely affect a wine.

In a recipe book like that I would expect all recipes to follow the KISS principles. Leave such additives and direction for the more advanced, experienced and well equipped wine makers. Sorry to be negative, but in the past 2 1/2 years on here I have seen all sorts of errors made, made a few myself even with clear and simple instructions. In a beginners book I would expect to see 'tried and true' or a clear labeling that a recipe requires some additional knowledge and/or experience to attempt.

Yeah, it is confusing for new guys like me. Thankfully I have this forum as a resource! Thank you all for all the help!

Latest posts

Back