Is .999 safe to bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron McClain

Junior
Reaction score
I have a kit Sauvion Blanc wine from original all juice that has been right around 1.000 for over a month now. It is still in the original fermentor and has not been racked. I know a wine like this is supposed to finish somewhere around .995. I use my hydrometer frequently and I know that it is calibrated correctly. The tiny amount of residual sugar left doesn't bother me that much, it's barely noticeable. What does bother me is the potential for popping corks. I know I can sulfide it but it still worries me.

Should I...

A. Rack and continue with normal vinification techniques?

B. Try and rouse the yeast thats already there?

C. Pitch champagne yeast and yeast nutrient?

I know the decision is ultimately mine but I would love some advice. Thanks!

You could try 'c', but as long as you use potassium sorbate, it shouldn't pop corks. What was the original yeast? Does you kit instructions call for bulk aging? If you have already put in sorbate, don't bother with the yeast, it won't ferment.

I have not sorbated, the original yeast was kv-116 I believe, and yeast the kit instructions are to rack several times before bottling.

I agree, you could do that, but a SB is usually a drier wine. 1116 is an active fermenter as well as 1118, but for $1, I might try it, your call. Maybe it will come across more as a PG. ('Breaking the law, breaking the law!') Lol, have fun with it!

Last edited:
Doing 'A' can give your yeast a little encouragement. Then If the SG doesn't change in 3-4 days after racking - move on.

Last edited:
Another vote for "A." If you are still concerned at bottling you could add sorbate with the KMS.

Have you stirred the wine.? I would add just a small amount of sugar to the wine (1 teaspoon) and watch for any action in the air lock. If it starts to bubble there, you probably need to stir the SO2 out of it. If you get no reaction, I would consider it done and bottle or bulk age.

I'd rack the wine, stir it well, and put it in a carboy for a month. If the SG hasn't changed, it's stable. But i'd add sorbate anyway, in case the yeast is simply being fickle.

BTW: I'd not leave the wine in the primary for a month. When the SG gets down around 1.010 I rack it into a carboy.

Latest posts

Back