is 14 days to long in the primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halifaxwino

new wine enthusiast
Reaction score
hi there

My kit wine says to siphon from the primary after aprox 14days. is this to long? or check SG on day6 it needs to be at aprox 0.998 or lower

What is the SG today? If it is .990 get it off of there right now. Approximation means nothing the hydrometer will tell you when it is ready. transfer it now and put an airlock on your secondary. Some of the others may tell you more, but I know enough to tell you to get it out of the primary right now.
Troy
:)

Im guessing your doing RJS kit and I actually like this method as it is much easier to degass and do most of my wines this way but when it is done fermenting do get it out of there as you have just released all the protection from the layer of C02 gas.

yes i am do an RJ kit, i only made it yesterday. so when should i rack then? or just follow the directions

Follow the directions, is always a good plan.

Steve

Just give it the 14 days as it should be done by then. If you are doing this with an unsealed top then i would keep an eye on the sg though and either rack when done or lock it down a little before its done to keep some C02 in there to protect it from 02.

ok will do, do i need to let some air in once in a while or just keep it locked for the 14days? thanks guys for your response

If it has fruit i it then you need to stir it at least once a day, if it does not then there is no need to butas long as its fermenting its good to get some air in there but when its nearing the end leave it closed to build up that layer of C02.

Hfx - if you are using an airlock on your bucket, the tight lid is fine; if you don't have an air lock on it, leave the lid sitting loosely on the bucket to allow the co2 to escape.
Cheers .. Doug

Latest posts

Back