IPM options

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobp

Reaction score
What are some of your IPM strategies? All chemical, some cultural some biological?

We have 12 acres planted in fruit. We discovered that having a planned out IPM is absolutely necessary.

We currently have a decent spray program, following the recommended practices. We also take active steps to deal with harvest dropped, or otherwise waste or cull fruit so it's not an incubator for SWD nor is it a food source for other insects.

We also keep a rodenticide out in key locations to cut down on drip system damage, crown of plant damage ect.

This winter:
As an addition to our existing IPM, we chose to add a "biological/native" option.....
We added 38 sparrow resistant bluebird nest boxes, and several swallow ledge boxes, with more to follow, and we built and put up our first bat box, (a two chamber rocket).

This not only gave me a great winter task, but should help with our IPM as well?20200201_113212.jpeg20200202_110158(0).jpeg

Just spitballin' here, but... Do you think that maybe, on a thread where you are asking for others' strategies, it would behoove you to define IPM?

I happen to hold a Nat'l Rest. Assoc. certification, so I know what you mean, but I would not say that IPM is "mainstream."

Ok then, IPM = Integrated Pest Management

Wasn't trying to confuse anyone?

I guess I assumed it was a commonly known subject, it is mentioned in most every extension, pest removal/prevention recommendation, type document I'm aware of...and given the forum header of grape growing, one could assume that most folks who actually have an IPM would understand the question and could have something to contribute....just thought I'd see what others are doing as part of their program.

Ok then, IPM = Integrated Pest Management

Wasn't trying to confuse anyone?

I guess I assumed it was a commonly known subject, it is mentioned in most every extension, pest removal/prevention recommendation, type document I'm aware of...and given the forum header of grape growing, one could assume that most folks who actually have an IPM would understand the question and could have something to contribute....just thought I'd see what others are doing as part of their program.

I suppose you are right. I tend not to pay much attention to what subforum a post is in.

Latest posts

Back