Invert sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long will it last in the fridge? I have a Mason jar full from last year. I also have a bag of wine conditioner in the fridge in owned for a year. I assume no mold than the invert should be ok?

I was curious about simple syrups and did some checking. The consensus seems to be that 1:1 simple syrups last a month, 2:1 last up to six months. I can't confirm that because mine is always used within a month. I prefer to use as fresh as possible so I don't make a lot at one time.

I've kept 2:1 simple syrup in the fridge for 6 months. It doesn't spoil, but eventually the sugar starts to crystalize.

Simple syrup is not the same thing as invert sugar, so I haven't tried that.

This question really has me struggling to figure out how it can have a shelf life. Sugar is a preservative, so it's not moldy. Can the sugar break down and it's not quite as sweet?

Use more?

Does it have off flavors?

I'm the guy that will eat things well after the expiration date, They are guidelines... I go by the rule if it looks good, smells good, tastes good, eat it/use it.

This question really has me struggling to figure out how it can have a shelf life. Sugar is a preservative, so it's not moldy. Can the sugar break down and it's not quite as sweet?

Use more?

Does it have off flavors?

I'm the guy that will eat things well after the expiration date, They are guidelines... I go by the rule if it looks good, smells good, tastes good, eat it/use it.
I agree, guess I'll just taste it and see if it's ok

How long will invert sugar last in the fridge? I assume with no mold than in it the invert should be ok?
Sugar is a preservative, so if it's not moldy
what is going to go bad with it?
The main risk is that there will be mold which grows on condensate which drips down the side of the jar. ie if you see mold, you could call it spoiled. The science is that mold will not grow when water activity is high (basically humidity or free water). A two to one solution has enough solids that it will tie up the water and is stable at room temperature. IF you have the syrup in sunlight you can force some evaporation which drips down the side of the jar creating a small region where free water and localized low water activity exist so you could have mold. ,,, Mom would take a dish cloth and wipe the mold off and serve it to us.
Invert sugar is commonly found in Christmas candy with a liquid center, Ex chocolate covered cherries. These are usually stored in a warehouse at room temperature and could be six months old by the time it gets to the store. It also could be years old and still be healthy. The key in all this is the water activity still high? ,,, ie it is dry.
You could bake a short shelf life invert sugar as with a one to one recipe or a one sugar to two water recipe. This decreases the water activity.
From an industry point of view, we want repeat sales. Sometimes the only thing that goes bad is that the color graphics on the label looks bleached/ dusty and no one will buy the food.
High water activity sugar syrups will last forever. ,,, or at least till someone adds humidity or condensate to allow mold growth.

Invert sugar sugar is easier for yeast to consume.
Yeast naturally produces an invertase and will use sucrose
Yeast which is going bonkers has a higher YAN requirement which means some folks accidentally produce reductive/ stinky sulfur flavors, produces fusil oils, produces excess heat which is bad for whites/ fruit wine,
Yeast loves glucose and reluctantly uses fructose/ less than 100% consumed.

Why go through the trouble of making invert sugar. Why not just add sugar and stir?
Yup, ,,, Invert sugar is more soluble therefore you can get a gravity faster or do a sweetener trial faster ,,, (I use a calculator and check if the calculator produced a mistake… & I want to know the answer before I mix a 5K gallon tank of spaghetti sauce or pH answer before dumping in acid etc etc.)
, , , I also have to ask why bother feeding yeast invert sugar?

I also have to ask why bother feeding yeast invert sugar?
I always assumed it was to make life easier on the yeast in stressful conditions... The only time I invert sugar is if I'm making a sparkling wine with low pH... at least one of the protocols I'm following has you make a sugar solution with some tartaric acid which will promote the sucrose -> glucose + fructose conversion. Sure, yeast can invert the sugar themselves but if they are in a low pH/high alcohol environment, let's give them a helping hand!

Latest posts

Back