Introducing myself

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jusatele

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello
Used to make wine 20 years ago but stopped when we downsized due to the kids going to college. Well now I suddenly found myself with 4 batches of 3 gallons each in various stages of brewing and have found myself sourcing bottles. Guess I had to renew the hobby once I retired.
So, hello all. Good to meet you all.

Welcome to WMT and back to winemaking. What types of wine are you making?

Hey, welcome! I just joined yesterday but these folks seem very friendly and willing to share.

Hello
Used to make wine 20 years ago but stopped when we downsized due to the kids going to college. Well now I suddenly found myself with 4 batches of 3 gallons each in various stages of brewing and have found myself sourcing bottles. Guess I had to renew the hobby once I retired.
So, hello all. Good to meet you all.
Hello, Great to meet you!

Thanks for the reply guys
4 batches are kind of hybrids, doing 3 gallon batches. I use 2 gallons of grape juice and 1 gallon of fruit. I have blueberry, cherry, and and strawberry. The 4th batch is pure pineapple.
Waiting for full fermentation to see how to treat the wines. I am sure a bit of back sweeting will be involved. As well as some body building will be needed.
Originally I just did fruit wines, I started doing g hybrids to have more balanced wines as I found pure fruit wines just to sweet. Now I find the hybrids more balanced

Originally I just did fruit wines, I started doing g hybrids to have more balanced wines as I found pure fruit wines just to sweet. Now I find the hybrids more balanced
QUOTE]

interesting. My fruit wines all wind up quite dry and not sweet at all.

Was that from fresh Fruit or fruit kits, or from frozen fruit ?
ll be watching to see how that pineaple turns out that should be a strong flavor

Last edited:
We all have ur own taste
I have done many full fruit, many concentrate. Many from juice. I have found that ordering grape juice from online sources and adding fruit to it its results I like best. I do backsweeten a bit but not like when using pure fruit.
I have made some good wine and some stuff I can not even call wine. Guess this is my favorite way to make what I call good wine.

We all have ur own taste
I have done many full fruit, many concentrate. Many from juice. I have found that ordering grape juice from online sources and adding fruit to it its results I like best. I do backsweeten a bit but not like when using pure fruit.
I have made some good wine and some stuff I can not even call wine. Guess this is my favorite way to make what I call good wine.
Welcome.!

I just did a batch of grapefruit with store juice and Sav Blanc kit juice. ! used to use Welches white grape concentrate with fruit wines but I can't get it anymore. I think this batch will be nice.

balance question/ sweetness;
* alcohol has a sweet flavor, a non alcoholic beverage will taste balanced at a lower measured in the lab acid level
* tannin and Total acid are synergistic and together will balance sweet flavors
* sweet is a fast flavor normally sensed first, followed by acid and then followed by tannin after thirty seconds. The flavors should wash out of your mouth in the same sequence. > > tannin binds the protein on the tongue and generates long flavor notes.
* some other ingredients can generate long/ memorable flavor notes as cranberry, grapefruit, ginger, red pepper
* older customers tend to select lower sweetness balances, kids tend to select higher sweetness levels. ,,, Tastes/ pleasing changes with age.
* numbers as specific gravity or reducing sugar or TA help us put names on the balance
interesting. My fruit wines all wind up quite dry and not sweet at all.

Latest posts

Back