Intro

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcroni

Junior
Reaction score
Greetings All- I reside near Greenville, SC. Started making wine about 3 years ago from Muscadine grapes we grow in the backyard. Typically between 10 and 15 gallons a year. First 2 years was a backyard bare bones process. It was good at best. This past fall we started with specific measurements, hydrometer readings and all the other stuff to make better quality wine. What a difference. Started a strawberry wine 5 weeks ago for our first attempt at something new. Primary went 5 days, then transferred to carboy under an airlock. Racked it off the lees last night for the first time since we had 3 consistent readings on the hydrometer. Sampled about 8 ounces between myself and my neighbor, who is my racking sampling partner in crime, Color is nice, tastes a bit on the grapefruit side, was expecting more of a strawberry taste. Plan is to give it another month in a carboy under airlock, sample it and then see what adjustments we will make. Looking forward to expanding my knowledge from this site.

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like you jumped in with both feet... Good for you! :b

BTW, stationed in SC as a young Marine in 1966. Never got inland much but really did enjoy the coastal regions in SC.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Glad to here things worked out well when you started learning, by measuring things, what's going on in the process of wine making.

Give that strawberry a bit of time. You may need to back sweeten the wine a bit after stabilizing (Kmeta and Sorbate) to bring out the strawberry flavor. Don't be in too much of a rush since your strawberry wine will produce sediment for quite some time (up to a year).

Again, welcome to the forum!

Welcome
My experience with strawberry is a little sweetness realy makes it pop.
Play with it a little and give it time after adjusting before judging it .

Latest posts

Back