Intro

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FL Steve

Reaction score
Ok, I just became legitimate. I have been here for quite a while actually, I mean years, I just never thought I had anything to say. After pm'ing Rich a few times and him thinking I was a stalker or something I decided I might as well do it.

I live in the Finger Lakes, about 7 miles from Geneva NY and have been making wine for about 30 years and growing grapes for about 25 years. I used to buy most of my juice but now grow all my own, with almost an acre of grapes. I help out at a couple of local vineyards and do tastings for one of them, whenever they need me. Every now and then, if there is a little surplus and if it is something I don't grow, I get a few handouts of fresh grapes, I like to try new things.

I was trying to go to the conference where Rich is speaking but, it did not work out, it is about 10 miles from here. I was looking forward to hearing him. Not to worry, with his experience up in the colder portion of our area, I am sure he will be back.
smiley4.gif

Wow! That is quite a resume'.

Thanks for the intro and welcome to the forums! Hope to see you around much more now so we can learn a few things from you!

20110305_125325_kgo_057.gif

Steve welcome to the party. Glad you finally popped on as I am sure you have lots to offer. Look forward to hearing more of what your making.

Welcome. We are glad to have you on board. Some day I hope to visit the wineries in the finger lakes region.

runningwolf said:
Steve welcome to the party. Glad you finally popped on as I am sure you have lots to offer. Look forward to hearing more of what your making.

I'll ditto what runningwolf has said. WELCOME !!

Oh Steve, please dont be such a stranger. With experience like that please jump in and help out others. Cant believe youve been hiding behind the screen all this time.

Chuckle, chuckle - I don't recall ever accusing Steve of being a stalker, but hey, you never know nowdays!

I really missed the chance of meeting you at Waterloo the last couple days. It was a very good conference and covered a wide range of subject matter.

Now make sure you check back in and help these guys out.

Welcome to the forum. Withthe backgroundlike you have, you have to have a lot of knowledge to share with us.

well talk about coming out of the wine closet welcome aboard,what are your specialties? I like the wines from the North their unto themselves,welcome...........
smiley17.gif

I can appreciate not having anything to say. I'm like that most of the time. So welcome anyhow and congrats on getting the keyboard working.

Specialty? I don't think I have one, I just try to make something that I am happy with. I am a perfectionist and very critical of myself so I doubt I will ever be satisfied. The Chardonnay I just bottled was pretty good though and I did a pretty good Noiret two years ago. I actually make wine as an outlet for my grapes, I really am into the growing aspect and am constantly putting vines in and taking vines out. I guess I just have to suffer through drinking all this stuff. Its a tough life.
smiley2.gif

ya but some of us have to do- for the sake of others,you no the sacrifices we have to make in the line of wine making,,,oh hummmmmmmm
smiley19.gif

Noiret, Corot Noir, Dornfelder, St Pepin,Cayuga, Melody, Cab Franc, Vidal, Reisling, Baco, Leon Millot, a handful of numbered vines that I picked up when the fruit Testing Coop at Geneva went out of business that were never released, all for wine. There are two or three each of Lacrosse, Chancellor, and NY 95.301.01, Frontenac and Marquette. Then I have Golden Muscat, Remaily, Seneca, Einset, Canadice, Buffalo, Sheridan, Steuben, Reliance for table grapes. I am in the process of removing my DeChaunac and putting in Regent. I think there is two vines of a Concord type of grape out there that is about 60 years old. I don't think it is Concord though, one of the vines is much more susceptible to fungus than the other, I just keep them around because they have been here on the farm for a long, long, time.

The table grapes don't contribute too much except variety.

Steve,
If the burden of drinking the wine ever becomes just too much to bear, let me know. I will certainly offer to help a new friend out.
smiley4.gif

That's about 30 varieties by my rough count! It is challenging keeping track of such a lenthy list. The roughest part is tasting all the varieties in one sitting. It doesn't work- trust me on that one. I have tried a few times and they all start tasting the same after about 20 of them......................

I really only mess with about a dozen of them, like I said earlier, I like growing more than making the wine. My main crop are the Geneva varieties, the Vinifera and I make a few of the oddball varieties in 5 gallon batches. I am actually trying to work toward just a couple of varieties but it just doesn't seem to work out, I always try something new hoping I will find the real winner.

My friends make out okay because they get the surplus and my dad, well, he is 88 and doesn't care as long as he doesn't have to buy it. He enjoys blending on his own. I still end up with the legal limit. One of these days I will get it under control. The turkey, coon and possums used to get quite a bit but it is like venturing into the DMZ if I see them.

Latest posts

Back