into the secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubz

Boozer
Reaction score
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/album.php?albumid=39&pictureid=238

lol i know its only a 3 gallon water jug but i think it came out nice

having just as much fun making my own equipment as i am making wine

only thing is now if i start another batch bfor the apple is done it would have to be 5 gallons to cover the headspace in my primary(works just fine my airlock was bubbling like mad well into the second week when i transfered it)

so i put 3 gallons in the secondary and well the gallon or so that was left over got sampled(got my gf and myself pretty tipsy and a friend said it had a good kick to it also)didnt taste all that great but was surprisingly dry for only being a few weeks old
but all in all tasted like it will be decent in the end
has a hint of apple to the taste ooooh i cant wait lol

Headspace in the primary is not an issue. I use a 12 US gallon primary for my 6 USG batches. I think my small primary is 2.5 USG for 1 USG batches.

Headspace once the main part of the ferment is over (ie sg below 1.005 or the like) is very important.

Steve

Headspace in the primary is not an issue.

Headspace once the main part of the ferment is over (ie sg below 1.005 or the like) is very important.

Steve
it is when there is nothing else around to rack it into after the initial fermentation is over lol

that was my point though i guess i wasnt all that clear on that

Just looked at the picture. Very interesting blow-off tube setup. BTW, you can get bungs for those jugs. I'm guessing a #9 but it depends on the exact jug, and it's been a while since I saw one like that. If possible take the jug to a decent HBS and get the proper bung.

Steve

i should but it works great for now like it is

bubbles into the water and no leaks that i can see or hear

Back