Intimidated...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric de Tejas

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first time making. I chose to begin with a Chianti. I put it in the primary fermenter a couple days ago, but I'm just realizing how much can possibly go wrong with this thing!!

Is the temperature ok?
Did I sanitize the equipment enough?
I have it in the corner of my room, is that alright? Is it light sensitive, should it be in a closet or something?
Have I oxidized it already?

I think part of it is the fact that I'm just super excited about this whole idea and I want it to be perfect. I'm anxious, but all things considered I'm a pretty patient person. Could anybody ease my mind a bit? I literally cannot sleep... I appreciate it immensely!

It's good to have this kind of resource, thank you all who actually take interest in helping us who are new to this!!

Relax, it will turn out fine. Just follow the instructions and it will be OK.

Eric:

Welcome to a great (and addictive) hobby.

You didn't have any specific questions, but just to prepare you for the future...."Which Chianti kit?". There's hundreds of them.

Steve

Haha, I feel like ya'll are talking me off a ledge. I wrote that thread in delerium last night so it sounded pretty desperate. Thanks, both of you, for replying. cpfan, the Chianti kit I used is a Vintners.

Winexpert Vintners Reserve Chianti. Actually should be a very good choice for a first timer. Follow the instructions as closely as you can, ask questions here, and enjoy yourself.

I'm sure it will be difficult for you to not drink the wine once it is bottled, but try to put some bottles away for 6 months to a year. And get another kit started as soon as practical.

Steve

Eric (and any other newcomers).

Fill in your location field. Occasionally you will ask a question that knowing where you live will help us to prvide a better answer.

For example, most Canadians live within an easy drive of one or more LHBS. Most Americans have to use mail order.

Steve

Eric,
You do want to think about light and temperature, etc. I'd suggest getting some kind of book at the library if your instructions didn't address such things. For starters, I keep my fermenting wine and beer in a dark closet at around 70 degrees. You especially don't want direct sunlight or fluorescent (or however you spell it) light to strike it.
Jim

Latest posts

Back