Interesting "cure" for Corked Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelican

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While following Al's link about grapes going unsold, and from here to there I stumbled on an articled titled
<h1>Wine 101: What does corked wine mean? And, a solution.</font>
</h1>http://www.examiner.com/x-9434-Wine-Examiner~y2009m7d31-Wine-101--What-does-corked-wine-mean-And-a-solution

this article says basically you can take a wad of plastic wrap (high quality plastic wrap is specified), crumpled up in the bottom of a decanter and then decant the corked wine onto the plastic wrap wad - swirl and let sit for a few minutes - then pour it off the plastic and viola! the taint smell is gone.

To me that is amazingly simple and should be in every home-wine-drinkers arsenal, just in case. I've had a few bottled of corked wine end up coming home from the bottle shop and it's such a disappointment and a waste. Glad to know there is some way to salvage it if it happens again!

I forget the how long ago this was proposed, but it has been several years. I believe it was a graduate student at Davis who discovered this.

I have tried it, and it does indeed work. For a badly corked wine, you might have to do it twice.

I believe that I have a few bottles of corked wine due to bad corks. I will try this and see if it helps! Good find. If it is snake oil, I'll also let you know, but this seems possible because Polyclar is a fining agent that takes care of oxidation, so why not cork taint?

Back