Interesting article about closures

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deboard

Reaction score
Interesting in that they bottled the same wine with many different closures and compared it at different intervals.

http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvisor2/tswa20100416.php

There is a pdf link with a bit more information. I wish that each bottle was labeled with the type of closure. They mention that some synthetics didn't last 28 months, but I didn't see any more info.

Very Cool although I wont be using screw tops unktil I cant get anymore corks or corked bottles.

Interesting! The last study I saw on screw tops said that not only do they prevent the wine from aging, they also cause it to go bad in 18-24 months.

This was interesting. I would like to know more of the details. Conditions during storage. etc.

I enlarged the image but couldn't find the synthetic cork I use. Ahhh what am I worried about? My wine barely makes 2 years and it's gone.

I'd love to know the line up of the other corks. I'm guessing the brown bottle is the synthetic?

makes me see screw caps in a new light! too bad I've got a ton of corked bottles and only a few screw top bottles.

I suspect the synthetics were the early ones since the study started in '99. Fingers crossed that the nomacorcs I'm using now will last close to the 5 years they promise. I want to put some of this years black raspberry wine up for at least 3 years and see how it ages. maybe I'll put a couple bottles under screw tops also.

It won't make a difference to me until Stelvin screw caps are an affordable option for me. Until then, I have to cork.

I'm sticking with corks as well, it's cheaper at the moment and most bottles I can re-use require them. That's why I wish the article would list the bottles in order with their closures. I'd be more likely to use the best cork closure than switching to screw tops.

I've noticed a lot of australian wines I buy are screw tops, and some are really good. I will say that some of the best wines I've had were screw tops, but definitely the worst wines I've had were almost all screw tops as well.

This was interesting. I would like to know more of the details. Conditions during storage. etc.

I enlarged the image but couldn't find the synthetic cork I use. Ahhh what am I worried about? My wine barely makes 2 years and it's gone.
\

TWO YEARS!!
That long LOL

I'm sticking with corks as well, it's cheaper at the moment and most bottles I can re-use require them. That's why I wish the article would list the bottles in order with their closures. I'd be more likely to use the best cork closure than switching to screw tops.

I've noticed a lot of australian wines I buy are screw tops, and some are really good. I will say that some of the best wines I've had were screw tops, but definitely the worst wines I've had were almost all screw tops as well.

I agree. I looked through the article and it's links hoping to find something that listed each closure from the pics.

I like a lot of Australian wines, and like you I have noticed a lot of good ones are going to screw tops. I have had good luck with them and have enjoyed the wines just as much. I have actually gotten some bottles of the same vintage d'Arenberg Dead Arm that have used both enclosures. I haven't noticed a discernable difference between the two enclosures when I have opened those bottles... and I tend to let mine sit in the cellar for a few years before I get to them.

If I could find a way to use Stelvin enclosures at a reasonable price at my small hobby level, I'd likely do it. In the meantime, I will continue to use whole cork.

Latest posts

Back