Quantcast

Interested in making a Sangiovese

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Jal5

Reaction score
Went out to dinner last night and had a really nice glass of Sangiovese but didn't write down any details. What would you suggest for making 5 gal of wine from either Sangiovese juice or a kit? This has piqued my interest and my wife liked it too!

Joe

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
depending on the dollar amount you plan on spending for the kit. lets say its medium priced, even with grape skins the tannin levels may be low. I added dried elderberry about 4 oz to my kit. the elderberry taste will be there in the beginning few months but it will dissipate and add the tannin the wine should need. alternatively you can go with oak or dry tannin powder.

Jal5

Reaction score
What about from Chilean juice? Any advice?

Bubba1

Reaction score
I make Sangiovese every year for the last 10 plus years from either juice pails or all grapes or a combination of juice and grapes its a fantastic table wine thats well received by all who try it, but I think your going to have to wait for the California grapes or Italian juice pails to come out in the fall I don't think I ever seen Chilean Sangiovese but you might want to try the Carmenere juice from chili its close to sangiovese and just as good.

Doug’s wines

Making (or Drinking) Wine
Reaction score
Our local HBS had Chilean Sangiovese this year, but that’s already come and gone for us.

Country

Reaction score
The WineExpert Selection Sangiovese turned out really nice. It was about $85 at LP.

Jal5

Reaction score
My local supply store has some chilean sangiovese juice left. I think I will do that. Thanks everyone.

Latest posts