Intentional oxidation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian-1

Junior
Reaction score
I'm in the process of making a high alcohol content apricot wine. I started the batch at 1.105 sg and gradually added sugar during fermentation. I calculated that I got to 18.6% ABV at 1.012 final SG, then I added enough Everclear to bring the ABV up to 20.5%.

Right now I've transferred from the primary bucket to a 5-gallon carboy. I put an empty airlock on the carboy because I read that you can oxidize a high alcohol wine and not worry about spoilage due to oxidation.

My question is do I always keep an empty airlock on the carboy during bulk aging (8-12 months)? During racking, assuming I lose some volume due to sediment, is it unnecessary to top up the carboy?

I thought I would oxidize it so it would be like a port or sherry. Also, I was hoping that I could avoid having to top off after racking.

Thanks for the replies. As far as being satisfied with the result, I can't really tell yet since it just recently finished the primary fermentation. Aren't tawny ports oxidized during aging? I guess that's what I was trying to do.

Back