Insects

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmc

Junior
Reaction score
I am making a 5gal batch of wine from apple juice. I added 2lbs of corn sugar after everything was in the carboy I noticed a few insects floating in it. Turns out they are grain weevils and were in the corn sugar they were not alive . Will they hurt my wine or am I worried for nothing.

LOL A little protein never hurt anyone. :)
2.5 #'s of sugar sounds low. What was the starting gravity?

If they're dead I doubt they wont be able to hurt anything.:) Here in Alaska our mosquitoes are horrendous and have been considering fermenting the lil suckers. But in all seriousness I wouldn't sweat it, I'm with Tom though, 2# of sugar sounds pretty low.
Troy

They will settle to the bottom with the trub/lees. No need to fret. It'll all bee good.

2.5 #'s of sugar sounds low. What was the starting gravity?

I didn't take an OG reading. This is an Apfelwein recipe it won't have alot of alcohol in it around 7 or 8 %.

MMC,
Taking and recording your info on each wine is just as important as drinking it. Please start a log. This way if there is a problem it makes it easier for us to help you. Also If the wine is a winner you might want to make another using your records.

I didn't take an OG reading. This is an Apfelwein recipe it won't have alot of alcohol in it around 7 or 8 %.

Thats some good stuff. Sort of like an apple beer. Even though it is lower alcohol, it will kick your butt after a few bottles of it. We always bottle it in beer bottles.

No really a problem as long as there are only a couple. heck, it might even give it more bite! :)

The big professional wineries pick the berries, destem them
and start pulp-fermenting.
Do you really think they will examine all grapes for any insects to be present ???

Use sulphite and you will be fine.

Luc

I mostly don't take readings.. Occasionally I see dead fruit flies..I check daily and remove anything ..My wines still seem to finish ok..

Allie

Last edited:
there's always room for wine sects in our industry:)thats what gives you a buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:cool:

there's always room for wine sects in our industry:)thats what gives you a buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:cool:

So there must be some "BUGGERS" in all of my wine since I do get a "BUZZ" from my wine!

The big professional wineries pick the berries, destem them
and start pulp-fermenting.
Do you really think they will examine all grapes for any insects to be present ???

Luc

No I didn't think that. But I am trying to make it with as few additives as possible and since I'm planing on carbonating and conditioning it in 12 oz bottles I didn't want to add any thing that might stun the yeast.

MMC
Don't worry about it. When doing fruit wine in the summer you should see the airlock.. Fruit flies so bad I keep fly paper over the buckets LOL !
Never had a problem.

Adding sulfite in tye beginning will not hinder fermentation later.

Latest posts

Back