Insect causing shoot tips to break

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfournier

Reaction score
Anyone know what causes this sort of damage? My first though was something was getting into the vineyard and eating the new shoots as on many of these the tips appear to be gone, but the vineyard in fenced. A little more investigation found some with broken tips that are partially attached. If you look below the break you can see another section with a ring of bites around the shoots leading me to believe that there is some insect weakening the shoots causing them to break.

What is it and how do I get rid of it?

20180616_092025.jpg

Anyone know what causes this sort of damage? My first though was something was getting into the vineyard and eating the new shoots as on many of these the tips appear to be gone, but the vineyard in fenced. A little more investigation found some with broken tips that are partially attached. If you look below the break you can see another section with a ring of bites around the shoots leading me to believe that there is some insect weakening the shoots causing them to break.

What is it and how do I get rid of it?

View attachment 49382
Grape cane girdler. Use Seven or another insecticde listed for it.

I've been meaning to post about this for a while. I've had the same issue. I suppose that is why it stopped after I hit the vines with Sevin for the Flea beetles I spotted. There was no lasting damage to any of the vines that were cut.

Thanks, I was planning to hit them with Sevin, but wanted to get an idea what it was first and make sure that would be appropriate.

Latest posts

Back