Input for yeast choice for this year's wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
Next Sunday I'm picking up my grapes and I'm doing two blends:
Syrah/Viognier co-ferment
Merlot 50%, Cab Sauv 33% Cab Sauv, Cab Franc and Malbec 9% blend

I was thinking of my usual Lalvin RC212 as that's a good red yeast. Sometimes I do red star, but Lalvin is my go-to for reds. I feel like changing it up though, add some variety to my life. I use Wyeast for beer all the time, any input on their wine yeasts?

I don't have any input regarding Wyeast, as I haven't used for anything other than beer.

I've been using Red Star Premier Rouge the last few years. Last fall I developed H2S in a 2nd run, so on @CDrew's recommendation I'm using Avante (Andante) Yeast this fall, as it doesn't produce H2S. He really likes it so I'm giving it a shot.

hmm the Muse and Bravo varieties from that brand look good too for my varieties. My LHBS doesn't carry that so I'd have to see how fast I could get it shipped.

The Bravo or Avante would be my choice. Avante would be excellent with your varieties as would the Bravo. The Muse does not tolerate heat as well as the others. Where are you? If it's cool there, then the Muse should be no problem.

And I've done several vintages of Syrah (2018-2021) using Avante and can highly recommend.

The other thing to note is I always do MLF...just because...for reds. I didn't for my first batch years ago but I do it out of habit to round out any malic acic. I don't submit my wine to labs for malic analysis which is why I do this. But i suppose I could experiment not doing it or tasting along the way

Next Sunday I'm picking up my grapes and I'm doing two blends:
Syrah/Viognier co-ferment
Merlot 50%, Cab Sauv 33% Cab Sauv, Cab Franc and Malbec 9% blend

I was thinking of my usual Lalvin RC212 as that's a good red yeast. Sometimes I do red star, but Lalvin is my go-to for reds. I feel like changing it up though, add some variety to my life. I use Wyeast for beer all the time, any input on their wine yeasts?
I like D254 and D80 fermented separately them blended for aging. I have done D80 by itself and the wine is fantastic with more earthy notes, mild fruit. D254 adds in the fruit notes but if you like smooth earthy complex syrah, D80 is a fine choice by itself.

I'm heading to the store now to see what they have. I have one montrachet in the fridge and 7 K1-V1116 from previous batches (think i used that for blackberry wine before and it was a 10 pack off amazon

correction I used 1116 for both my Tinta Ruiz/Souzao blend last year and my Cab S/merlot/Cab F blend

welp, they only had two red options for Lavin, RC212 and BM 4x4. I used 212 in the past so I stocked up on that one. The only other red yeast was red star montrachet and pasteur red. I'm not a huge fan of red star so....oh well. Next year I'll order in advance so i can either get it shipped to me or have the LHBS custom order me some.

welp, they only had two red options for Lavin, RC212 and BM 4x4. I used 212 in the past so I stocked up on that one. The only other red yeast was red star montrachet and pasteur red. I'm not a huge fan of red star so....oh well. Next year I'll order in advance so i can either get it shipped to me or have the LHBS custom order me some.
Another good yeast for Syrah is RP-15, at the commercial winery I’m at we ferment half our Syrah with RP-15 and the other half with D-80 and blend that helps to add different characteristics to the blend as D-80 is more about the body and mouthfeel and etc and RP-15 is for the flavors and aromas and traditional spicy notes in Syrah. Maybe try that sometime, you could use them for viognier the viognier that we make has 8 different yeasts in it and is all barrel fermented and blended and bottled.

we use exotics mosaic, D21, CY3079,R4600, d47,x16 yeast and a couple others sometimes for viognier.

Another good yeast for Syrah is RP-15, at the commercial winery I’m at we ferment half our Syrah with RP-15 and the other half with D-80 and blend that helps to add different characteristics to the blend as D-80 is more about the body and mouthfeel and etc and RP-15 is for the flavors and aromas and traditional spicy notes in Syrah. Maybe try that sometime, you could use them for viognier the viognier that we make has 8 different yeasts in it and is all barrel fermented and blended and bottled.

we use exotics mosaic, D21, CY3079,R4600, d47,x16 yeast and a couple others sometimes for viognier.
Very interesting. I will try them the next year. Thanks.

Great idea thanks! I'll have to order these in small amounts once I finalize grapes. This year I didn't hear back about the varieties I could have until August so it was fairly rushed

Latest posts

Back