Initial Fermentation Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill W

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I have my first batch (strawberry) fermenting and for the first day I've just kept it covered with a clean towel. The batch is at the 4gal line in a 6.5 gal pail (I'm making 3 gallons). Do I need to worry about this amount of headspace in the primary? Would it be better to cover it loosely with the lid that has a small hole in the top? Also, what do you guys clean your stirring utensils with, when you've got to push in the cap, twice a day? Do you mix up a sterilizing solution everytime, or is there some other way to do it?

TIA,
Bill W

Hi, I have my first batch (strawberry) fermenting and for the first day I've just kept it covered with a clean towel. The batch is at the 4gal line in a 6.5 gal pail (I'm making 3 gallons). Do I need to worry about this amount of headspace in the primary? Would it be better to cover it loosely with the lid that has a small hole in the top? Also, what do you guys clean your stirring utensils with, when you've got to push in the cap, twice a day? Do you mix up a sterilizing solution everytime, or is there some other way to do it?

TIA,
Bill W
In the primary no need to worry about headspace.
What most of us do is make a strong solution of k-meta and put it in a spray bottle. When you need to punch down the cap spray the thing you are using.. simple.. and it will keep as long as you heep it closed.
BTW we sanitize not sterilize.

Most of us make up a 1 gallon batch of sanitizer and if you have a good seal for it it will last around 4-6 months usually.

Latest posts

Back