WineXpert Initial Fermentation Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs.erinss

Reaction score
On Sunday I started my 2nd batch, a Selection Estate German Mosel Valley Gewurztraminer. So it has been in my primary fermenter for 3 days. I have it with a closed lid and airlock. Unlike my first kit (which had bubbles coming out of the airlock like crazy in the primary) I haven't seen a single bubble come out of the airlock. I can faintly smell the "smell" of fermentation (the bread-like, yeasty smell) coming from the bucket, but it's also not as strong as my first batch. Do you think the fermentation is going along okay despite no bubbles being released? Should I open it up and take a look at it? Should I take a SG reading? Should I just leave it be?

Thanks again for all the help!

Take the lid off and look. It may be that you dont have a good seal.
I would always keep the lid off on any wine I make for 3 days so there is more O2 for the yeast.
BTW I made that when it was a LE and it tastes great even 2-3 years later

Thanks! This might be a stupid question, but if I open it, what am I looking for exactly? I mean, will I be able to tell just by looking at it if it is fermenting?

After opening it it may take your breath away!.Look and see if there is foaming OR tiny bubbles coming to the surface. I suspect since you said you smell something that it fermenting and the lid amy not have a good seal.

You will hear what sounds like an open can of soda fizzing and maybe even a foam layer. Those rubber grommets that hold the airlock in are usually the area where pressure escapes but can also be the gasket around the lid. I drilled a biger hole where the grommet used to go and now use a rubber bung.

I checked my wine and it is definitely fermenting. You can actually hear it fermenting, with all the fizz coming off the top. I checked the SG too while I had the lid open for the heck of it, and it already went from 1.080 to 1.040 in 3 days, so I guess I'm on the right track. It smells fabulous too (I mean a little weird for wine, with that bread smell and all, but still great.) :h

Thanks!

Did it use EC-1118 Champagne yeast? I have found that it doesn't roar like some yeast do. I just did a Pinot Grigio and it was the same as you describe. I did have a bit of a leak around my grommet as well but it was just a fizzing fermentation with hardly any surface gunk and actually a fairly light lees bed. The kit came with a packet of EC-1118 but I bought a Wyeast liquid Champagne yeast instead.

Yes, that is what it came with, as a matter of fact. And that's exactly what mine was doing - just that light fizzing with no gunk on top. I still think I might have a little leak around the grommet too. It's all out of shape and weird.

Sounds like your grommet may have goten pushed in a little when the airlock was inserted but no need to worry as most people dont even use lids on their buckets, just a cloth to keep buggies out!

Back