Inherited Grandfathers Wine Equipment.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That way you could keep the spirit of his wine alive while at the same time enjoying all the advantages of modern wine making.

That's the plan! A lot of his measurements are very vague in his recipes, he seemed to measure a lot by taste, feel and his own good judgement! Nightmare for following as a recipe but this is where the learning comes in from this forum. His favourite and one of his best was a simple Blackberry and Elderberry, but I'm almost scared to attempt it incase it turns out nothing like his, silly I know but I'll get a few others under my belt first!

Hi Aiden, welcome. What a cool way to immortalize your grandfather. I sure would like to hear more about how he used flowers in the vino. The wife and I are planning a visit to Ireland in October.

BC

I sure would like to hear more about how he used flowers in the vino. The wife and I are planning a visit to Ireland in October.

BC

Thanks, as soon as I've tried some of the recipes I'll certainly share on here, I need to know how it all works before I can comment with any sense of understanding! Always good to hear our cousins across the lake are visiting our small but beautiful country!

That's the plan! A lot of his measurements are very vague in his recipes, he seemed to measure a lot by taste, feel and his own good judgement! Nightmare for following as a recipe but this is where the learning comes in from this forum. His favourite and one of his best was a simple Blackberry and Elderberry, but I'm almost scared to attempt it incase it turns out nothing like his, silly I know but I'll get a few others under my belt first!

Sounds like a good plan, btw no better way to learn than by getting your hands dirty!

Welcome to the forum!

I suggest that you could start straight away on your grandfather's recipes. If there is anything about them that you do not understand, or have a question on why or how something is done, please just ask. We are here to help.

Aidan, my condolences on your grandfather's passing. I shared a different hobby with my grandfather but I still have many fond memories of him. After you've made your first batch, drink a toast or two to him and then let us know how it turned out. At some point, it would be great if you shared a few of his recipes with us. I'm sure he made some fantastic wines. Best wishes.

Thanks, as soon as I've tried some of the recipes I'll certainly share on here, I need to know how it all works before I can comment with any sense of understanding! Always good to hear our cousins across the lake are visiting our small but beautiful country!

welcome aidan sorry about your grandpa. And if his notes are anything like mine(chicken scratch and abbreviations) feel free to ask what he might be talking about since the abbreviations for the ingredients and chemicals are new to you as is wine making happy to have ya here:b HAPPY WINE MAKING

I suggest that you could start straight away on your grandfather's recipes. If there is anything about them that you do not understand, or have a question on why or how something is done, please just ask. We are here to help.
Thanks, Yeah I could start a few with little knowledge from his notes but its a confidence thing with me, I'll maybe crawl before I walk! I,m sure I'll have a few questions lol!

After you've made your first batch, drink a toast or two to him and then let us know how it turned out. At some point, it would be great if you shared a few of his recipes with us. I'm sure he made some fantastic wines. Best wishes.
Thanks, My first batch is going to all the family so we can toast him. Found a few more of his demi's in his garage and some of them had recipes and instructions on the labels!

welcome aidan sorry about your grandpa. And if his notes are anything like mine(chicken scratch and abbreviations) feel free to ask what he might be talking about since the abbreviations for the ingredients and chemicals are new to you as is wine making happy to have ya here:b HAPPY WINE MAKING
Thanks, chicken scratch and abbreviations lol pretty much sums his notes up! His main notebook was an old diary, some funny inserts!

Welcome, condolences, and good luck! It's bound to be a fun, rewarding, and intimate journey of learning, reconnecting to your grandfather, and enjoyment!

Elderberry/blackberry wines are a natural and wonderful combination. Hard to go wrong, but they may need to some time to come into their own.

Welcome, condolences, and good luck! It's bound to be a fun, rewarding, and intimate journey of learning, reconnecting to your grandfather, and enjoyment!

Elderberry/blackberry wines are a natural and wonderful combination. Hard to go wrong, but they may need to some time to come into their own.

Thanks, his Blackberry and Elderberry sat for about a year before it was put on the table!
** just heard he had a Blackberry & Elderberry aged for 7 years and it was possibly one of the best wines my Dad ever tasted, hasn't came across anything like it since.**

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Wine Making mobile app

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back