Infection?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity, what is the yeast? Also, what is the temp at this point? I know tartaric crystals only precipitate as the temperature cools. I do agree with cmason1957 - it does look like tartaric crystals because of the "snowflake" shape but the color looks like lees (or a combination of both. After racking, I'm really curious about the consistency of the material on the bottom. Please keep us posted.

Out of curiosity, what is the yeast? Also, what is the temp at this point? I know tartaric crystals only precipitate as the temperature cools. I do agree with cmason1957 - it does look like tartaric crystals because of the "snowflake" shape but the color looks like lees (or a combination of both. After racking, I'm really curious about the consistency of the material on the bottom. Please keep us posted.

Specs: BM 4X4. FT Rouge. Go Ferm. Fermaid. CH-16 w/ Opti-Malo.

Current temperature: 65°F.

This part of the wine from the fall '20 crush that was cold stabilized last winter. It was held at 28°F or lower over a four week period. This is the only container that shows this precipitate.

Interesting...I would have thought it would have given up all the tartrates it was going to in the four weeks of cold stabilization.

All the tartaric compounds will not precipitate out in such a short time. Many old bottle wines have "wine diamonds" when poured. That is normal. I once opened a 15 year old bottle of Cabernet Franc*, and there were tartaric acid crystals deposited on the cork. :cool:

* I bought it at age 5 and aged it another 10 years. The sample of this wine at age 5 was wonderful, which is why I bought a bottle ($60 in 1995 coin) and at age 15 it was even better. :)

Last edited:
All the tartaric compounds will not precipitate out in such a short time. Many old bottle wines have "wine diamonds" when poured. That is normal. I once opened a 15 year old bottle of Cabernet Franc*, and there were tartaric acid crystals deposited on the cork. :cool:

* I bought it at age 5 and aged it another 10 years. The sample of this wine at age 5 was wonderful, which is why I bought a bottle ($60 in 1995 coin) and at age 15 it was even better. :)
That's the whole purpose of dropping the temp to cold stabilize (which isn't commonly done with reds). The temp drop decreases the solubility and precipitates out the tartaric acid. I (and other winemakers I know) usually drop the temp to 33 deg F and hold for about (3) weeks. That's usually enough to drop out the bulk of it. After racking off the crystals, you're not going to see anything like that picture at 65 deg F after that. That's what makes me think it's lees but the only why to know for sure is to examine it after racking.
https://www.stonestreetwines.com/tartrates-crystals

Last edited:
That's the whole purpose of dropping the temp to cold stabilize (which isn't commonly done with reds). The temp drop decreases the solubility and precipitates out the tartaric acid. I (and other winemakers I know) usually drop the temp to 33 deg F and hold for about (3) weeks. That's usually enough to drop out the bulk of it.

You first stated "all". Now you admit "bulk of it", which may be most, but not all. Just saying I was replying to your first comment that said "all". Agree that many, maybe most, may fall out with cold stabilization, but not "all". You may have meant most in your original post, despite typing "all". One "wrong" typed word can change honest intent, and I believe you meant in your first post what you said in your followup post. No problems. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
View attachment 75014
This is a first for us. Is this mycoderma?

Only in in one small container. Whatever it is, it needs to be banished from the cellar.
looks like lees at the bottom. I had lees fall out in a bottle that I put in the fridge. I had bottled that batch directly from an aging carboy. There was a little lee at the bottom of the carboy, but not much. When I bottle I siphon from the top and work the siphon down as the carboy empties. Most likely the bottle in the fridge was one of the last few bottles filled and corked. It looked clear before I put it in the fridge. Most likely there was Tart Acid that fell out too. The bottle was in the fridge for about two weeks.

Latest posts

Back