Inexpensive wine storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am wondering if anyone has some inexpensive wine rack/storage ideas?

Do you want it to be attractive? If so, ignore what I say below.

But if you want dirt cheap: scrounged cinder blocks and old lumber. These types of shelves work a treat. Of course they are ugly as sin. But I use them for long term bottle storage in my wine cellar, which is as dank, dusty and full of cob webs as one would expect of any Central European old wine cellar. So I don't need anything pretty down there.

My cost: Zero (i.e. they were scrounged). You can not get more inexpensive than zero. And the wine does not care how ugly the selves are.... :cool:

I see you have some piled 5 high.......they do not crush down on each other? I have my bottles in their boxes also {1 deep}, and I am so'o'o tired of moving them, and walking over them in my garage. I am going to try your setup...................Thanks.................................DizzyIzzy

I believe I can help you with your overages,,,,,,,where do you live?

Do you want it to be attractive? If so, ignore what I say below.

But if you want dirt cheap: scrounged cinder blocks and old lumber. These types of shelves work a treat. Of course they are ugly as sin. But I use them for long term bottle storage in my wine cellar, which is as dank, dusty and full of cob webs as one would expect of any Central European old wine cellar. So I don't need anything pretty down there.

My cost: Zero (i.e. they were scrounged). You can not get more inexpensive than zero. And the wine does not care how ugly the selves are.... :cool:
Can you load a picture of your wine shelves/cellar please? Curious how you did it (plus I don’t mind dank or cobwebs!) 😬

Actually, Dracula is on the right. So he has easy access to the Bull's Blood... ;)
That was a good article, thanks for sharing. I’ve had Egri Bikavér many times on my trips to Slovakia and Hungary, but didn’t know that much of the history or background beyond the translation of the name and that it was a blend of some kind. I think the first time was on an early trip to Slovakia and I remember nearly choking when the locals I was with filled their glass halfway with wine then topped it up with Coca Cola and passed me the bottle.

This is from a winery we built. The concept was you could place the dividers in different locations depending on how many bottles of wine you had. We used 1/2" aluminum but the same could be done with plywood. Mine has diamonds that hold 16 bottles but it's a bit of a waist of space when you're down to the last couple bottles.Wine Storage.jpg

I started making wine last year. I tried to be as economical as possible by salvaging bottles, used equipment etc. My wine shelves were already overflowing so when I found this one on marketplace for $125 I quickly made the 2 hour drive to get it. My old rack has places for 69 bottles. This one holds 169! As it turned out the man who listed it was selling it for someone else. They had agreed to donate the proceeds from the sale to the ranchers in NW Kansas who recently lost everything in prairie wildfires. I also learned the previous owner was a surgeon I remember well. I worked with him back when I was giving anesthesia for a living. Small world!Wine rack.jpg

I like the wine racks I bought years ago off Amazon.com The steel gauge is adequate that they're very durable and able to be secured to the wall at the top. 2 of them hold 60 wine bottles each and 1 holds 40 wine bottles for a total of 160 bottles. In addition I have a real heavy combination wine rack and counter that I use not only for holding 20 wine bottles but also a secondary carboy work station 😃🍷20211222_122128~2.jpg20211127_163906~2.jpgScreenshot_20211127-162409_Chrome~4.jpg

I started making wine last year. I tried to be as economical as possible by salvaging bottles, used equipment etc. My wine shelves were already overflowing so when I found this one on marketplace for $125 I quickly made the 2 hour drive to get it. My old rack has places for 69 bottles. This one holds 169! As it turned out the man who listed it was selling it for someone else. They had agreed to donate the proceeds from the sale to the ranchers in NW Kansas who recently lost everything in prairie wildfires. I also learned the previous owner was a surgeon I remember well. I worked with him back when I was giving anesthesia for a living. Small world!View attachment 83335
I saw many many many of these when I worked in a hospital. An old friend that got me into wine making also had one of these for his wine storage. 👍

Interesting. That looks like two racks combined into one! Lots of us have those including me and they only come with 7 shelves normally.

1642257497605.jpeg

I started making wine last year. I tried to be as economical as possible by salvaging bottles, used equipment etc. My wine shelves were already overflowing so when I found this one on marketplace for $125 I quickly made the 2 hour drive to get it. My old rack has places for 69 bottles. This one holds 169! As it turned out the man who listed it was selling it for someone else. They had agreed to donate the proceeds from the sale to the ranchers in NW Kansas who recently lost everything in prairie wildfires. I also learned the previous owner was a surgeon I remember well. I worked with him back when I was giving anesthesia for a living. Small world!View attachment 83335

If I double stack these shelves do you think it would be too much weight? Double stacking would allow me to put one 5 gallon batch per shelf.Wine rack.jpg

Latest posts

Back