Inexpensive wine storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decker

Junior
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has some inexpensive wine rack/storage ideas? Pictures would be great.

This rack was pretty good bang for the buck:

filled-rack-jpg.16045

You can read about it here: Finally built my wine rack and in subsequent posts in the same thread. The entire thread has a lot of other good ideas, too.

When I framed the basement, I had room for a narrow closet. The cubbies on the right are boxes screwed between the studs, so the backs are in the crawlspace. Originally used for miscellaneous storage, it migrated to wine storage.

The shelves in back are small wine racks I accumulated over the years. I'm thinking of removing the shelves and installing 6 count bottle stacks, e.g., columns wide enough for a large Bordeaux bottle and high enough to stack 6. This isn't as space efficient as bin systems, but it's good for batches that are winding down, e.g., a lot of it has been consumed.

The rack on the left is a 132 count rack I purchased from a liquor store that was going out of business. I have a second one in the attic, but currently have no place to put it.

winecloset_03.jpg

I have been using the 9 cube shelving units that you can get at big lots or Walmart. It was meant to be temporary, but they work so good, I keep using them. The ones I have have the nine cubes and each cube holds 12 bottles perfectly. The first time my girlfriend saw it she asked when I got the new wine rack. They typically run like 45-55 bucks. So can't beat them really.

I have been loading the wine bottles back into cases and stacking the cases on their side. If you use nomacorcs (cases on the far right), you won't have to stack them on their sides. Doesn't get more inexpensive than that.

View attachment 77617
Same ultra-cheap system I use. Works well for me.

This rack was pretty good bang for the buck:

filled-rack-jpg.16045

You can read about it here: Finally built my wine rack and in subsequent posts in the same thread. The entire thread has a lot of other good ideas, too.

Given the current state of lumber prices, you are truly a rich man!

To paraphrase a line from The Godfather: "Leave the wine. Take the wood."

I have been loading the wine bottles back into cases and stacking the cases on their side. If you use nomacorcs (cases on the far right), you won't have to stack them on their sides. Doesn't get more inexpensive than that.

View attachment 77617
I see you have some piled 5 high.......they do not crush down on each other? I have my bottles in their boxes also {1 deep}, and I am so'o'o tired of moving them, and walking over them in my garage. I am going to try your setup...................Thanks.................................DizzyIzzy

View attachment 77617
why not put them into cases up-side-down? keeps corks wet and cases really aren't meant to be stacked sideways - just saying

Latest posts

Back