Inexpensive Coolers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
My 13 year old Magic Chef wine fridge may be on it's way out. I keep it set at 58 degrees, but it has been cooling to around 65 the last week or two (if cooling at all - its probably 67 in my basement). It's a 50 bottle fridge and has served me well up until now. IIRC, I only paid about $250 for it. If I were to replace it, I don't want to spend much more. Options are limited in my price range for something with this much capacity. Any recommendations?

Just got a new Wine Enthusiast catalog. They have a 28 bottle (compressor) unit for $299 with free shipping. That is the cheapest I have seen for a real compressor. I see 50 bottle "silent" units (thermo electric) going for close to $600 at Costco. They seem to all get mediocre at best reviews on all of them.

Did you do any troubleshooting to determine if you really need a replacement or if it is a simple fix?

If you know somebody with AC gauges start there. If not you can purchase a cheap set on FleaBay or Harbor Freight for ~$50. Don't want to spend that you could always see what kind of freon is inside and track down a can and add it and see if it comes back to life. You got nothing to lose but ~$15 for a can of freon. If you have gotten 10 years or more of life out of this you probably got your $$ worth.

How do I test that without spending a couple hundy on a pro?

Look for simple things like dirty coils or dead fans. Freon leaks are not for the amateur. If it is leaking it will continue to leak. Getting 10 years out of it just by adding a little freon is a pipe dream. Also, in addiction to the gauges you need to install an access port. Anything other than brazed on ports WILL LEAK. If you don't have a leak now, you will when you're finished. I'm surprised you can buy freon retail now. I had to get a license. Bottom line, this forum doesn't appear to be a good place for repair advice in this case.

So, it appears it just isn't running at all. Don't know if that is a bad thermostat - doubtful, as I think the temp reading is pretty darn close to the ambient temp, so it appears accurate. What else would cause a fridge to not run?

Compressor quit. Look at the type of refrigeratiant. If it’s R600a (I think) that’s alcohol based coolant and it’s trash don’t waste time or money on it.

Unplugged it, hoping that might reset something. Plugged it back in and it still isn't running. :(

Next thing you will be saying there is no Santa Claus either!

That one that Johnd linked to look BDG for the $$ and free shipping to boot.

Unplugged it, hoping that might reset something. Plugged it back in and it still isn't running. :(

I would think that if that unit has anything it has a push button reset of sorts so unplugging it won't do anything. If no pushbutton then look for an actual fuse that would need to be replaced like old school glass with wire inside. Might have to dig into the unit to find it.

Latest posts

Back