Increasing my wine making volume

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cxwgfamily

Reaction score
I recently decided to increase my wine making volume. I purchased 2 26 gal SS fermenters and plan to us them making a Blueberry wine during the first half of June. I am curious as to any advice anyone might want to give me when going from 6 gal batches to 26 gal batches. Is there anything I need to do different?? My plan is to use one for a primary then rack to the other for a secondary and then long term storage in glass carboys. Anyone see if holes in this plan??

I recently decided to increase my wine making volume. I purchased 2 26 gal SS fermenters and plan to us them making a Blueberry wine during the first half of June. I am curious as to any advice anyone might want to give me when going from 6 gal batches to 26 gal batches. Is there anything I need to do different?? My plan is to use one for a primary then rack to the other for a secondary and then long term storage in glass carboys. Anyone see if holes in this plan??

Really, the process is no different, but the volume does require adjustments. Larger batches can generate higher fermentation temps, so preparation for that possibility is important, depending upon your fermenting area.
More chems are needed on hand for adjustments and additions, tartaric acid, K carb, sulfite, etc.......
The other substantial adjustment is that you can’t move stuff around so easily. Can’t pick up the fermenter and put it on a table to siphon rack to secondary, for instance. Pumping or vacuum racking is probably in order in that case. In your case, assuming your tanks are side by side at the same elevation, you can siphon rack only until the level in the two tanks are equal.
You may need more robust and / or longer tools for things like punch downs, stirring, racking canes, longer tubing, that sort of stuff. Depending on what you use currently, maybe a bigger press.
Sure there’s more, but those things come to mind.

You'll want to put the tanks on a cart so you can move them around. I've got a little 80gal tank that I put on a rolling dolly from Lowes.

Definitely agree you will want a pump. The variable speed super-transfer pumps are good and you can attach fittings to the tubes so you can hook it up from one tank to the other for racking.

The next tool in your winery is a filter. Cheers

Another thing easily overlooked is water access and drainage for cleaning out your gear in the basement. Ain’t the easiest thing to install either.
Existing slab? A floor drain cut in with a trough ran to tie into your soil or storm line. Use pvc then back fill cement. Preferably at a low point since it’s not pitched towards drain unless you make that happen.
Or run to a sump pump if you’ve got one. Or a French drain. You’ll need something.

Really good points above. I have also been considering a significant upgrade. But after reviewing the above comments I think I will stay with my 60 and 30 fermenters. The weight, moving and lifting of containers becomes more of an issue as you get older. So I will stay smallish to future proof myself.

I’m no spring chicken, 6’ 3” and a 50 poundish 5 gallon carboy is not something I like picking up from the ground, let alone a 65 poundish 6.5 gallons. I found that pumps are my friend. I have both a push pump ($75) and an all in one vacuum pump. If you are not going to deal in barrels, and keep with glass, I’d seriously look at the all in one.

I’m doing 150 gallons per year and it would not be possible without pumps.

Hmm I might look into that pump. Have thought about it in the past but kept thinking I might not use it enough to justify the price. But if I want to keep on with my hobby this would be a significant asset.

Once you start using a pump, you'll never go back and you'll use it with nearly every operation. Most definitely worth the cost.

Back