Increasing my batch sizes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonsLair

Living the dream!
Reaction score
I've been making my wines/meads in your standard 5 - 6 gal batches. A week ago I picked up a couple of 55 gal drums from my local beer & wine supply house to make bigger batches. Should I increase all my chemistry by a factor of 10 or do some things increase more than others as the overall volume increases?

You would increase evrything by 10 as you said but at those sizes I would invest in some test kits if you dont have them already as that would be a big mistake now if something was off. Ta, PH, S02 and the such. I would also look into buying stuff in bulk like yeast and other supplies.

Cha-ching

Thanx for the input Wade.

I am figuring on spending a nice chunk of change on the whole operation. Besides getting some nice test equipment I am looking at a new crusher, fruit press and about 20 carboys. I considered oak barrels but the purchase cost and maintenance are a bit out of my league at this point.

20 carboys, have you thought about variable capacity SS tanks or the new flex tanks instead?

I did, but they don't fit too well in the space I have and they run about 2x what the carboys would run me. Unless you have a lead on a good supplier.

Latest posts

Back