Increasing Alcohol content with sugar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read in a book that you should use non-fermentable sugar when you back sweeten. I don't even know what that is.

Joe's simple syrup is for back sweetening? Is that just standard sugar?

This is like learning Perl back in the day. There are 50 ways to skin a cat and it can be difficult differentiating which is correct or if it doesn't really even matter.

Much easier than Perl. No regular expressions. And I can forget the semi colons.

As an aside, just pure sugar or honey works just fine for backsweetening.

We once did an experiment taking a wine and splitting it 3 ways to back sweeten it with honey, sugar, and frozen Niagara grape concentrate. Unfortunately the cats knocked the bung out of the concentrate and had to dump it (fruit flies got in and ruined it). Of the other two, we liked the sugar better. More of an education of our own palates than anything else.

We once did an experiment taking a wine and splitting it 3 ways to back sweeten it with honey, sugar, and frozen Niagara grape concentrate. Unfortunately the cats knocked the bung out of the concentrate and had to dump it (fruit flies got in and ruined it). Of the other two, we liked the sugar better. More of an education of our own palates than anything else.

Seems like there are always things around to screw up a experiment. I was thinking of a locked room, then I realized I'd probably loose the key.

TNUSCAN you could send me the key to your wine cellar, address, dogs names and when you will be gone,, TRUST ME,,, snicker,,,,::::::::::::::

Lol,
You would probably find me passed out on the floor in a locked wine room.

Latest posts

Back