Increasing a recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aeludor

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm following a recipe for crab apple wine and it's for a 1 gallon batch.
I'm wanting to do a 5 gallon. I'm assuming I increase everything by 5.

So the 6lb of fruit for 1 gallon would be 30lbs for 5 gallons. Is that correct?
What about the additives? Pectic enzyme campden tablets etc.
Is there anything that I don't increase (like salt when baking a bigger batch of cookies)

Also, are there any good crab apple wine recipes that people would recommend?

Thanks

Jay

Well, depending on your recipe, you may not need to increase the yeast by a factor of 5. Generally, a single sachet of yeast is good for ~6 gallons.

I will admit that I do not get your reference to salt. I cannot imagine why one would want a different percentage of salt in cookies depending on how many you make... :?

Well, depending on your recipe, you may not need to increase the yeast by a factor of 5. Generally, a single sachet of yeast is good for ~6 gallons.

I will admit that I do not get your reference to salt. I cannot imagine why one would want a different percentage of salt in cookies depending on how many you make... :?

Good to know about the yeast. Thanks.

When I was a kid, my mom would teach me to bake and when increasing the recipe she wouldn't increase the salt, because it just makes it saltier and overpowering. (I don't really understand it either). Unless I was mistaken and it was increased, just not doubled with everything else *shrug* I don't do a lot of baking :D

Hi all,

I'm following a recipe for crab apple wine and it's for a 1 gallon batch.
I'm wanting to do a 5 gallon. I'm assuming I increase everything by 5.

So the 6lb of fruit for 1 gallon would be 30lbs for 5 gallons. Is that correct?
What about the additives? Pectic enzyme campden tablets etc.
Is there anything that I don't increase (like salt when baking a bigger batch of cookies)

Also, are there any good crab apple wine recipes that people would recommend?

Thanks

Jay

Hi Jay,

Campden tablets - some are potassium metabisulfite, some sodium metabisulfite. You can use the sodium metabisulfite before fermentation, but I wouldn't use those tablets at the end of the batch before bottling as you will leave residual amounts of sodium in your wine (I don't want to add salt to my wine). As for dosing, 1 tablet per gallon.

Instead of Campden, I use K-Meta (potassium metabisulfite) 1/4 tsp/6 gal of must before fermentation.
Pectic Enzyme 1/2 tsp/gallon of juice, or 1/10 tsp per lb of fruit
Potassium Sorbate 1/4 tsp/gallon

Jack Keller is a fruit wine guru. Here's a link to a crabapple recipe on his site:
https://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques40.asp

Let us know how it turns out!

As Per SourGrapes response increase everything except for yeast.

If you look at Keller's recipes Keep in mind that virtually ALL of his recipes use a very low fruit amount. I use his recipes only for the list of ingredients not quantities
Stick with at least 6 lbs per gallon of crab apples. Consider freezing them for a few days to help break down the fruit.

Thanks guys.

That site looks pretty neat. I'll read it more after work.

I froze my apples last night to help with the mashing. I did a 30lb and 15lb bag.

This weekend coming just got busy, but I'm hoping to get it all started in the next week or so.

45 lbs should yield about 9 - 10 gallons. In 2017 I made a 1 gallon batch using Dolgo crabapples using Jack Keller's recipe. Used 5 lbs 14 ozs of fruit, 2 lbs sugar and a champagne yeast. Starting SG was 1.081 and ended at 1.002, pH = 3.0. When finished sweetened with 2/3 cup of 2:1 sugar mix. It tastes like a sweet/tart apple (Granny Smith?). This year I am making 3 gallons. Thank you, Jack Keller.

Latest posts

Back