Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm always looking for ways to improve the website either through content, features, software, social outreach ...

What would you see to see changed/added to WinemakingTalk?

What would you like to see more of?

Is the weekly newsletter quality? Should I push Vendors for more giveaways?

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
I know they already exist on other sites, but a recipe section. If possible where the most popular recipes are voted up and sorted by the popular vote.

bkisel

Reaction score
I've noticed a number of other sites (not wine related) that have a "Chat" room. Might that be of interest to WMT folks? Maybe a moderated Friday or Saturday night topic specific chat?

Perks from Vendors specifically for WMT, if possible, would be nice. A discount code emailed to WMT members?

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If there could be a global search feature - so that you did not need to guess which forum the discussion or post you are looking for might be in (eg - any thread that included the words "juniper berries" )
There is one in the top left of the website. Or are you talking mobile skin? I think even then there is a search icon you can click.

wildhair

Reaction score
I'm new here, so I'm still finding my way around. The layout is very much like several other forums I participate in and is very user friendly. I've used the search a LOT to try and find answers BEFORE I post Q's. Adding photos & links is also pretty easy. One of the other forums has a section where people can request changes, additions, etc.

Sometimes, if it ain't broke - don't try to fix it. :)

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
One very nice, cool and convenient thing we have at another forum is the private messages, over there the PMs are kept like a chat room between the 2 parties involved.

Yes, like Jim mentioned, the 'Like' option for the iPhone app would be a nice little thing to have.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
One very nice, cool and convenient thing we have at another forum is the private messages, over there the PMs are kept like a chat room between the 2 parties involved.
You know we have the same thing here? Click the username, then click Send a private message to ......

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
You know we have the same thing here? Click the username, then click Send a private message to ......
He maybe referring to Xenforo boards PM system (or there like) where the PMs function almost like a chatroom. They refer to them as "conversations".

I haven't checked what this board is in use here, but it appears to be slightly long in the tooth (version wise) compared to a lot of newer BBS software. (edit vBulletin 3.x)

Last edited:

jburtner

Reaction score
BBS software -

We used to connect up on a 9k6 modem to all text bbs. You could uuencode / decode binary files i to txt format for transfer compatability. A little later mail used a probram called "pine".

Solve your own ending type of games and stories.

Ha ha ! These boards are not so much different...

IOW: can we ease go back to txt dial-up / store-and-forward tech? Will probably increase our winemaking capabilities!

Cheers!
-johann

Last edited:

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
I get a lot of pms and would like to forward a pic along with my reply ,that would be helpful to me.

vacuumpumpman

Vendor
Sponsor
Reaction score
I would agree with Joe -

also I have to wait 30 seconds or so prior to PM someone else - I figure it is because of SPAM - Correct ?

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
He maybe referring to Xenforo boards PM system (or there like) where the PMs function almost like a chatroom. They refer to them as "conversations".

I haven't checked what this board is in use here, but it appears to be slightly long in the tooth (version wise) compared to a lot of newer BBS software. (edit vBulletin 3.x)

Yup, you got it.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
Xenforo, BBS, 9k6, vBulletin 3.x, etc.

You lost me at Xenforo. Wayyyyyyyy over my head.

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
Xenforo, BBS, 9k6, vBulletin 3.x, etc.

You lost me at Xenforo. Wayyyyyyyy over my head.
BBS = Bulitin Board System. (two main types. This site is one form, and originally before the web, you could connect with a telnet terminal to a similar system, but more functional than this)

Example of an old Telnet BBS:

Xenforo and vBulletin are brand names of the web BBS software. This one uses one called vBulletin.

9k6 = 9600 baud modem. (9,600 byte transfer rate) That was the speed of transfer sort of like your current internet service speed of say 100 megabytes download speed. (100 million byte transfer rate) They are basically the same thing except 100mb is 10,416 times faster than 9600 baud. (we've advanced slightly in technology since the 80s haha)

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
BBS = Bulitin Board System. (two main types. This site is one form, and originally before the web, you could connect with a telnet terminal to a similar system, but more functional than this)

Example of an old Telnet BBS:

Xenforo and vBulletin are brand names of the web BBS software. This one uses one called vBulletin.

9k6 = 9600 baud modem. (9,600 byte transfer rate) That was the speed of transfer sort of like your current internet service speed of say 100 megabytes download speed. (100 million byte transfer rate) They are basically the same thing except 100mb is 10,416 times faster than 9600 baud. (we've advanced slightly in technology since the 80s haha)
Darn, this reminded me and put me back in the mid 80s when I started college :sh
But it wasn't until the late 80s we started to see the IBM 'terminals' in the lab (system 34? and such) and then the PCs using monochrome screens..:(

Last edited:

jburtner

Reaction score
My buddy next door had a modem with the rubber cups that fit over the phone handset and we used the yellow pages to find bbs's to call into. Apple IIe with green monochrome screen and two large floppy drives. My trash-80 had a cassette drive you could load and save programs with and everything has gone downhill since then ;) haha! Today I still use my phone to connect up to the bulletin board system but don't use the yellow pages anymore.

+1 on the conversations threaded pm's.

Ciao!
-johann

Latest posts