Importing from china

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking of buying a CNC machine from China, but it seems quite daunting dealing with shipping and customs. Most factories in China will ship to the nearest port in China. Then I need to get it on a ship to the US then thru customs and onto a truck to my shop. The machine will weigh either 1000 or 2000 pounds depending on which machine I buy.
anybody deal with this and have any advice.

When we bought PPE from China last year we had to go through an importer to clear all the things you described. I’ve sent items out to Kenya in the past (shipping containers) and had to go through a company that handled those things as well. With smaller items I have been able to just ship direct. Dealing with all those items can be a pain but it’s doable.

Tell ya what, importing from China could get a lot tougher if this Taiwan thing heats up any more. Better get it on its way sooner rather than later, if ya can. I am keeping a close eye on the Taiwan situation, it could really screw the pooch.

My CNC machine would be the least of my worries if China invades Taiwan, which would be really stupid of China, I would imagine their economy would tank and the communist party would be overthrown. Unfortunate for me if I order now it will probably be delivered in January or February which means wrestling a one ton machine in below zero weather.

It might be "really stupid of China" if China invades Taiwan but the consequences of such an invasion are very unlikely to mean that the CCP would be "overthrown" (by whom?) . More likely the US will be dragged into a war that few in this country want and for which most sane people would have no understanding. And if the US stood by and allowed China to reclaim Taiwan many countries in Asia might decide to rethink their alliance with the US as being rather useless when push comes to shove. Bottom line such an invasion could make the cold war look like a walk in the park. AND humanity might need again to be prepared for a Mutual Assured Destruction of all life on Earth apart from the cockroach that is.

A few things from what I have been tracking, Even if the USA does not get involved in Taiwan India, Japan, South Korea, Australia will back Taiwan and to an extent Russia has been toying around with the idea of hopping in and grabbing back some territory lost long ago. As for us here in USA we have a big enough mess to be getting involved, but if indeed japan got involved and china attacked them then we would be bound to come to their aid or lose face.

All that aside the company I work for is having enough problem getting parts from china that we are pushing hard to build them in house or source them in the US again. The getting them on a ship over here is hard as the ports over in china are backed up, and the ones here in america are as well, pushing some of our orders on new machining equipment out from late 2021 to early 2023.

It’s quite a mess over there. I may be better off finding a used machine already in the states, I am worried about how long it could take to arrive.
If you purchase something here in the US, it might also be easier to find parts / service if you need to. It might also be a good idea to find out what parts are serviceable and just purchase them now with the unit so that you have them before you need them.

I’m getting shipping prices now and it looks like I’ll be buying a kit. It’s a smaller package and smaller price. From China to the us it’s about $1500 port to port. Then paying customs and trucking add another $1000, then another $1000 for a machinery moving and setup company. So my $3500 machine is going to cost $7000. I can get a nice kit for $2400 shipping included.

All that aside the company I work for is having enough problem getting parts from china that we are pushing hard to build them in house or source them in the US again. The getting them on a ship over here is hard as the ports over in china are backed up, and the ones here in america are as well, pushing some of our orders on new machining equipment out from late 2021 to early 2023.

Yep, those long just in time supply chains have been totally dismantled during the pandemic and they are having a tough time getting re-established, Just the sheer logistics of getting it all back in tune are awesome, to say nothing of the manpower needs.

I'd be happy to see some of that offshore production come back home.

As far as Taiwan, we won't have the enter it to make the whole supply chain situation turn to utter crap again. China would likely preempt any US ideas of jumping in by cutting supplies and effing with our debts that we owe them. Look at chips now. It'd be like that, only wider spread.

I can't see how the US does NOT lose face if China takes over Taiwan. It bears close watching, I think.

Last edited:
I wish I could afford American made, but they are five times as much.

Today. Out of pocket. But locally made, in this case US products, may last 10 times longer, cost less for support and replacement parts, etc. So long term may in fact be less expensive. Also look into tax incentives, business grants, or section 176, or amortization as help in up front costs.

Quite frankly, while I am a US citizen, living in Europe, I still will now spend more to buy locally made EU products whenever I can. Yes, they cost more, but over time they are more cost effective. The stuff from PRC is crap. Simply breaks, costing me more long term.

Example: Brush cutter, cost me $150 made in PRC. Lasted two years. Engine failed. I had it rebuilt, cost me $100, and lasted 1 year. Brush cutter made in Austria cost me $450 is 10 years old and no signs of problems. Which is more cost effective?

And that does not even get into I do not want to more support the PLA.

Side note: Why not try to contact the link I provide above for a quote. Maybe it is not 5x the price. Or maybe they can get you good financing. And maybe they can deliver next week, not next year. Which means if you have a business, you are making money 3 months earlier. In any case, can't hurt to inquire and you may benefit.

Last edited:
i have looked at ShopSabre, even their small CNC is around $7000, I'm looking to get into CNC inexpensively as it's a hobby that may morph into a business. i like woodworking, I like the hands on part of it, but as I get older letting a machine do some of the work will be easier on my body. i havent sold myself on CNC yet. So I made a deal with myself, if i can learn CAD and CAM then I'll think about spending for an american unit, cant take my 401 past my due date anyway. So the search for a machine is on hold for a while.

Sounds like I need to hire a customs broker at the US port and find a factory that will ship from China to the US port. Shouldn’t be too hard
I would recommend at least talking to a customs broker. The one I used save me a lot when I imported the French and Hungarian oak. I could tell you that horror story but wouldn't hurt just asking one if there are any specific requirements you would need.

Back