Important Safety Question!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FizzyFjord

Junior
Reaction score
I have made a bottle of wine by adding sugar and baker's yeast to a bottle of Welch's Concord grape juice. I used a funnel that was washed with hot water and soap but not sanitized to add the sugar. Is this wine safe to drink, or is the sanitization purely to prevent the taste from being affected? I don't want to go blind. Thanks for the advice, and thanks for maintaining a forum that is fascinating to a kit-less ultra-noob like me.

ok.... first of all, you didnt screw the cap back on tightly, did you?

if its a glass bottle, the resulting pressure could cause an exploding container that could kill or maim you.

Secondly, if things go very wrong, it'll just taste bad and may make you sick.
My understanding is that when people make mistakes in home distilling (ie. making moonshine) that supposedly can cause blindness.

Last edited:
Even that is not really correct. I wont get into here but the amount of methanol made in a batch when distilling is not enough to cause this, its the people that were trying to cheat their "proof" by adding congeners like benzine or industrial alc to boost their product for easier sale as everyone wanted the high octane. As far as your wine goes you should be fine but like said above never ferment in a closed vessel, always have some way to let the built up c02 escape.

Alright, thanks for the help. I didn't screw the lid back on tightly, I just screwed it on loosely so CO2 could escape but (hopefully) oxygen would not get in. I don't think it's on too tight because when I unscrew the lid I don't hear a hiss of CO2 escaping, so there probably isn't a lot of pressure.

go buy a smell balloon, poke a small hole in the tip with small needle and place that at the mouth of the bottle.

Latest posts

Back