I'm here!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterBlaster

Junior
Reaction score
I'm not only new to the forum, but I'm brand new to wine making. Until recently, the only thing I did with wine was drink it. I've become pretty good at that, so I figured it's time to start making it myself. We had a pretty good plum harvest this year so we started off with plum wine. I'll be heading over to the newbie forum now because I really need some help! Glad to be here!

MB welcome to the forum. Plum wine is one of my favorite. So how did you come up with the name Master Blaster? Feel free to ask questions any time. We'll be happy to wlk you through any issues. Glad you found us!

At risk of everyone thinking I'm a crazy nut, I'll tell you. I am a bit of a gun junkie. :gb So, there's two things I enjoy, guns and wine.......but never at the same time!

Welcome aboard MasterBlaster. I too love guns, onlyhave 3 but that works for me on my budget and with 2 kids. Just watch the plum wine because for some reason plum wine is a little more notoriuos for refermenting in the bottle despite using sorbate. Iadmin a few wine forums and Plum just always seems to be the main topic for popped corks or exploding bottles. Ive had it happen to me once myself also. Glad to have you aboard and feel free to ask any questions as thats why we are here.

Welcome aboard MasterBlaster. I too love guns, onlyhave 3 but that works for me on my budget and with 2 kids. Just watch the plum wine because for some reason plum wine is a little more notoriuos for refermenting in the bottle despite using sorbate. Iadmin a few wine forums and Plum just always seems to be the main topic for popped corks or exploding bottles. Ive had it happen to me once myself also. Glad to have you aboard and feel free to ask any questions as thats why we are here.

I don't have that many guns either, just a few more than you. I pretty much have a well rounded collection of semi-auto, revolver, rifle, and in varying sizes for various purposes. Nothing more than what I need......yet. :h I have a few I'd like to add to the collection soon!

I have heard some stories about exploding bottles, I definitely don't want any of that! I have plenty of time to start learning what the end of the process should be like. And I'm pretty sure I'll probably be starting another batch of something soon! I'd like to find something that will be ready to drink faster because I am already getting impatient.........almost took a sip of the must! :)

Last edited:
Wine is more of my Third hobby. Fire arms are Second, Family is First but maybe not by much. Welcome.

I would love to be able to go out to L.V. to shoot again. With my son being 14 months I have a few other things sucking up the play money budget. Just got a second job yesterday as a gunsmith/bow technician. Used to be what I did full time.

What is the next wine you are thinking of? Scratch, kit or concentrate? I live where there are many fruits grown. Never a lack for fresh or fresh-frozen to pick from. Strawberries have been ripe for a month now. Cherries started today.

I would love to be able to go out to L.V. to shoot again. With my son being 14 months I have a few other things sucking up the play money budget. Just got a second job yesterday as a gunsmith/bow technician. Used to be what I did full time.

What is the next wine you are thinking of? Scratch, kit or concentrate? I live where there are many fruits grown. Never a lack for fresh or fresh-frozen to pick from. Strawberries have been ripe for a month now. Cherries started today.

With a 14 month old, sounds like your priorities are right where they should be. Sounds like you're working hard though, hopefully you get to play a little.....not like I know what that means, I never get a break! If you ever make it out to Vegas again, drop me a line. I'll take you shooting, then we can enjoy some adult fruit juice.

Everyone says plum wine requires patience because you don't want to drink it too soon. So, next project will definitely be something we can enjoy sooner. I don't mind waiting, but I want to have something started that we can dig into faster. I haven't decided what that will be yet. Once I get these 2 batches moved into glass I can start thinking about what's next. Definitely gonna keep it going so we can have a nice little stock!

It's best if you have +1 carboys. If you have 2 batches going, it helps to have 3 carboys. Just an FYI

It's best if you have +1 carboys. If you have 2 batches going, it helps to have 3 carboys. Just an FYI

I've done exactly that, got three already. My first thought was to pour back int the primary, clean the carboy, then rack back into the original carboy. The guy at the brew shop here is very helpful and advised me to go with a third so I didn't have to move it so much. It made perfect sense. So, we got three! Thanks!

You know you are supposed to taste as time passes. Lets you know how the wine is progressing. Taste at the wrong time it is not very good, but suprising how good it can be when very young. Arne. Course this is just one persons opinion, but ask Sirs and he will tell you the same.

I've done exactly that, got three already. My first thought was to pour back int the primary, clean the carboy, then rack back into the original carboy. The guy at the brew shop here is very helpful and advised me to go with a third so I didn't have to move it so much. It made perfect sense. So, we got three! Thanks!

I do this anyways for the purpose of degassing. I splash rack back into the carboy.

Back