I'm going bananas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omerta

Reaction score
what could cause a banana like smell/flavor to a red wine?

strike one for Corrado's juice. Of the two Cabs I picked up from Corrado's the first was rich deep beautifull. The second seems to be thin and weak. This is the one that was already started when I picked it up. Little disappointed with the second batch.

Yeast will produce esters when stressed. Certain esters smell like bananas, or juicy fruit gum. These are common 'off flavors' for beer fermented too warm (though its appropriate for some styles like a German Hefe)

what temperature are you fermenting at?

strike one for Corrado's juice. Of the two Cabs I picked up from Corrado's the first was rich deep beautifull. The second seems to be thin and weak. This is the one that was already started when I picked it up. Little disappointed with the second batch.

Dod you contact Corrado's? What did they say?

Its a Pasteur Red batch at 72-74 degrees.
Corrado's guy first said "wow!" with a long pause and then said it should be fine and let it run its course.
Just hoping for the best at this point.

Its a Pasteur Red batch at 72-74 degrees.
Corrado's guy first said "wow!" with a long pause and then said it should be fine and let it run its course.
Just hoping for the best at this point.
I would put them on notice. (just in case)

I got two buckets from Corrado's. One bucket was labeled Cry-Baby. This one will turn out fine. The second was labeled Corrado's. This one is going to be an issue. Not sure if they are from the same vineyard. I'll have to ask. I need to find a better supplier. I'd rather take the ride to Gino Pinto's and get a must I can trust.

Latest posts

Back