Mosti Mondiale Il Toscano and others

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started an Il Toscano kit last night. From the description it is a primarily Sangiovese blend, so I guess a "Chianti" style. It does not state what the other varieties are, which is a little disappointing.

SG was 1.102. I added the 4kg grape pack and swapped out the EC-1118 for Premier Rouge (used to be Pasteur Red). I wanted to use BM4X4 but they did not have any so they recommended using the Pasteur Red over the BM45. Going to let the grape pack sit until the primary fermentation is over before removing and pressing. Now I wait.

I started my wine making venture earlier this year with Nero d'Avola, which I followed the instructions to a T and then added more oak chips during the bulk aging (lightly toasted American oak). I am getting ready to bottle it in the next week or so after 8 months of bulk aging. Tasted it a couple weeks ago when I racked and was very happy. Plan on starting to enjoy it in Feb/March when it is about 1 yr old.

I did the Montepulciano kit in June by swapping out the EC-1118 for BM4X4 and adding an all grape pack. I did not add any oak to the bulk aging period for this one. It still tastes a bit young, but I think it will round out nicely with another few months of sitting. I plan on bottling this one in the next couple weeks as well and plan to start enjoying it in July 2021.

Gearing up to make a move to fresh juices in the spring with the southern hemisphere varieties. Still have to do some more reading as to what the key differences are when using fresh juice vs. sterile juice.

Sounds great! Swapping out the yeast is a great way to experiment with Kits. EC 1118 is essentially foolproof, which is why the kits often use it. EC 1118 is pretty neutral IMO, not adding much except a clean reliable fermentation. I've used BM 4 X 4 for Tuscan-style wines with success - you might need to add some nutrient, as this yeast seems to need it.

Decided to go for an EM with this batch. Locked it down with an airlock this morning when the SG was 1.02. Aiming to go 6-8 weeks before I rack and press the skins.

Just an FYI Il Toscano is Mosti’s “Chianti style” wine. I sell MM products and he has a number of different names for wines protected in the eu.

Update.

I did a 70 day EM on this kit. Racked and pressed the skins into a 23L vessel. Ending SG was .992. Added 30g of medium toast French Oak. Now I let the bulk aging start. Will probably rack the 23L to a 20L vessel and bottle the 3L come August. I do not plan on bottling the remaining 20L until I really need the space for another batch.

Looking forward to the Chilean juices to come in as I will be doing two batches of Carménère. Decided to run a Toro Negro pail and Fresco pail side by side to see if the Fresco pail truly is worth the extra money.

Looking forward to the Chilean juices to come in as I will be doing two batches of Carménère. Decided to run a Toro Negro pail and Fresco pail side by side to see if the Fresco pail truly is worth the extra money.

It is, our wine club ordered Toro Negro pails one year, out of about 20 of us and some really good winemakers in the group, not a one made good wine. Now maybe it was just that year, but I doubt it. There was no discernible difference between any of the varietals. Just my $0.02.

Update.

I did a 70 day EM on this kit. Racked and pressed the skins into a 23L vessel. Ending SG was .992. Added 30g of medium toast French Oak. Now I let the bulk aging start. Will probably rack the 23L to a 20L vessel and bottle the 3L come August. I do not plan on bottling the remaining 20L until I really need the space for another batch.

How did the side by side test work out? is the fresco worth paying nearly double the price?

How did the side by side test work out? is the fresco worth paying nearly double the price?

I would say no, at least for the Carménère. I thought both were easily the worst wines I have made. They were drinkable, but lacked something.

I have since made Malbec, Nero d'Avola, and a variety of whites from fresh juices that were not Fresco or Toro Negro and those all came out very good or are aging along nicely.

I am sticking to the standard fresh juices and selecting my own yeasts. For the price savings it has worked out well.

Back