Igloo Barrel Of Fun for a primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M38A1

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been surfing threads and have seen everything from dedicated wine primary fermenter buckets to beer ones to trashcans and carboys of different sizes. I'm amazed at the ingenuity here.....

I might be able to acquire an Igloo Barrel Of Fun 109 quart cooler with lid and roller base for no cost. That comes out to about 27 gallon capacity. First off, would this be a good acquisition if I wanted to make a large batch of something? And realistically, what would be a good maximum safe volume to run through primary fermentation with this?

If this all pans out, I think I'm going to need a bunch more carboys and a bigger house. We don't have basements here....

This is the Igloo noted above...
i-S7fSbwb-X2.jpg

i-RhGK6V9-X2.jpg

I've been surfing threads and have seen everything from dedicated wine primary fermenter buckets to beer ones to trashcans and carboys of different sizes. I'm amazed at the ingenuity here.....

I might be able to acquire an Igloo Barrel Of Fun 109 quart cooler with lid and roller base for no cost. That comes out to about 27 gallon capacity. First off, would this be a good acquisition if I wanted to make a large batch of something? And realistically, what would be a good maximum safe volume to run through primary fermentation with this?

If this all pans out, I think I'm going to need a bunch more carboys and a bigger house. We don't have basements here....

This is the Igloo noted above...
i-S7fSbwb-X2.jpg

i-RhGK6V9-X2.jpg

As long as it’s made of food safe material, it’ll work. If you’re doing grapes with skins, 80% full will give you enough room for the cap to rise.

Check all around the tub. If it’s food safe it will always have some sort of marking of NSF or HDPE or whatever it is.
Looks like it might be the same plastic as those standard keg tubs, which I’ve used to crush into before.

Nice! I'd say you could comfortably do 5 or 6 lugs in that - maybe more. I've done 4 in a 20 gal Brute.

Here is one more concern, but it is not a deal-breaker. Fermentation is exothermic, so an active fermentation can heat up the must significantly. It is possible to get too hot, so that it stresses or even kills the yeast. An insulated fermentation tank, obviously, will exacerbate this problem. However, you can be "at the ready" with frozen bottles of water; you can throw these into the must if the temps get too high.

> And realistically, what would be a good maximum safe volume to run through primary fermentation with this?

Leave about 1/4-1/3 head space. Or, put it somewhere you can easily wash the floor.

Here is one more concern, but it is not a deal-breaker. Fermentation is exothermic, so an active fermentation can heat up the must significantly. It is possible to get too hot, so that it stresses or even kills the yeast. An insulated fermentation tank, obviously, will exacerbate this problem. However, you can be "at the ready" with frozen bottles of water; you can throw these into the must if the temps get too high.

Good point, might never have thought of that. But concidering your comment and if they are fermenting in a colder climate it could be a benefit.

Good point, might never have thought of that. But concidering your comment and if they are fermenting in a colder climate it could be a benefit.

For reference, today is headed for 104*F and the next 10 days straight 101+ with some 107-109*F tossed in for fun. It's a blast furnace here now with that southerly breeze just fanning it.

Latest posts

Back