If you had to go with a single varietal...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
Which red would you pick? I am thinking Cab Sauv. or similar bold... I am only going to go with one grape this year...

thoughts?

Let me think... A Merlot. No, no I change my mind... a Shiraz. Wait, wait... Maybe a Malbec? Screw it! I'm not going to play this game!
smilie.gif

I'm partial to Cab's and Zin's and anything deep dark and red. But my favorite single varietal of what I made so far in my short wine career, which includes cab's, zin's, etc, is sangiovese. I got the sangiovese grapes almost two years ago, unfortunately none of it left at this point, it was too good and was my first all grape batch.

I'm limited in wine from grapes to the last three years. Every year I've done two varietals, a Cab and either merlot, syrah or pinot noir. From that limited experience I think the Cab has been the easiest to work with and come up with very consistent results. Having said that, based on the above suggestions I'm going to do Cab and Sangiovese this year, sounds like a popular grape.
Mike

Actually I wanted to state sangio... I made it and Merlot last year... i love italian sangios..

thanks!!

I haven't had a varietal that I haven't liked, therefore i would probably let the region I was buying from determine my selection, and choose what they grow best.

If you're leaning towards a big bold red I'm curious what other people suggest as well. As far as picking varietal based on the region, I've always just assumed the select grapes that are offered by my supplier (from Cali & some Italy) are all equally legit quality.
Cab Sauv seems like an easy choice just like Sangiovese. Merlot can be hit or miss with me. But what about the many other big reds you could do? I'm curious because there's a lot of big reds offered that I've haven't even tasted before let alone make. Here's a list of what is typically offered.

IMG_4438.jpg

I'd pick something you haven't made yet. That's what I'm trying to do. If I have the resources (money) this Fall I'd love to do an all grape Cab Sauv.

The Lanza Cab has been very good the last two years.

Ajmassa, just curious, what do you guys pay for a 36lb lug of fresh grape? I am in Toronto and bug Italian community (although they're slowly dying off!) so the Cali fresh grapes are in abundance here... we usually pay low to mid $30s (Canadian dollars)... which is low-mid $20s.

My American brother-in-law envies the prices we pay here as he says it's a lot more expensive where he is (Atlanta region) and very hard to find...

Ajmassa, just curious, what do you guys pay for a 36lb lug of fresh grape? I am in Toronto and bug Italian community (although they're slowly dying off!) so the Cali fresh grapes are in abundance here... we usually pay low to mid $30s (Canadian dollars)... which is low-mid $20s.

My American brother-in-law envies the prices we pay here as he says it's a lot more expensive where he is (Atlanta region) and very hard to find...

Your brother in law is right to be envious. That picture I posted is from 2015 but a pretty good indication of prices. Mid to high 30's about. Not cheap. And adds up very quickly with multiple lugs.
I'm looking to fill a 15 gal demijohn so I'm looking at 7 lugs maybe. $270 depending. Aside from other expenses that still comes out to about $3 a bottle though. Win.

If you're leaning towards a big bold red I'm curious what other people suggest as well. As far as picking varietal based on the region, I've always just assumed the select grapes that are offered by my supplier (from Cali & some Italy) are all equally legit quality.
Cab Sauv seems like an easy choice just like Sangiovese. Merlot can be hit or miss with me. But what about the many other big reds you could do? I'm curious because there's a lot of big reds offered that I've haven't even tasted before let alone make. Here's a list of what is typically offered.

I've used Carignane in a field blend with Cab and Merlot, but I'm curious to try it on it's own. I'm also intrigued by the Charbono, Malvasia (Black) and Valdepena. Will research these a bit. Nebbiolo is also on the radar.

I wonder why in the world they list "Chateauneuf-du-Pape: as an Italian variety, but do NOT list "Brunello" as Italian??? :?

Latest posts

Back