If you had to go with a single varietal...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're leaning towards a big bold red I'm curious what other people suggest as well. As far as picking varietal based on the region, I've always just assumed the select grapes that are offered by my supplier (from Cali & some Italy) are all equally legit quality.
Cab Sauv seems like an easy choice just like Sangiovese. Merlot can be hit or miss with me. But what about the many other big reds you could do? I'm curious because there's a lot of big reds offered that I've haven't even tasted before let alone make. Here's a list of what is typically offered.

AJ, I know you are asking about a single variety, but a few years back I blended and co-fermented three Italian juices into my version of a "super Tuscan" which was 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot and 25% Sangiovese. I thought it turned out very well.

I wonder why in the world they list "Chateauneuf-du-Pape: as an Italian variety, but do NOT list "Brunello" as Italian??? :?

I was under the impression these are the grapes that are grown in Italy. everything else is grown in Cali. I can't get information since their "wine "people don't come into the shop at all until late August. I could be dead wrong about the grapes tho.

AJ, I know you are asking about a single variety, but a few years back I blended and co-fermented three Italian juices into my version of a "super Tuscan" which was 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot and 25% Sangiovese. I thought it turned out very well.

Not so much one varietal. I just piggybacked the thread and was curious about all these other varietals that I know nothing about, and which ones were "stand-alone-big-reds". @Siwash asked the question, I'm assuming because certain batch sizes make it difficult to blend specific ratios. Is it a 6 gal batch Siwash? I just had a tasty ST bottle recently equal parts Cab, Sangiovese, Merlot - 1 lug each = 6 gal.
And a ST has been my fall plan for good bit now Rocky. Going majority Sangiovese. 75%. 5 lugs. And Cab and Merlot 12.5% 1 lug each. Because I love a good ST and I really don't know much about most of those other varietals offered.
@pgentile and @norcal bring up other options, I think I may have tasted 2 out of the 7 - Nebbiolo and Barbera, and just once each. I don't even remember how they were either. I have lots to learn. . I'm gonna have to stick with what I know for now. But I would love to get to know more about all these other grapes.

Last edited:
Replied back...na na nuh na na.

Anyone else seeing this nonsense from @ceeaton and @Boatboy and grow envious? You guys , along with the countless other members of your central PA/Harford clique make me jealous. I need to hook up with someone during grape pickup and perhaps trade a few bottles. ------@pgentile, I'm looking your way!

I wonder why in the world they list "Chateauneuf-du-Pape: as an Italian variety, but do NOT list "Brunello" as Italian??? :?

The Chateauneuf-du-Pape on that list is a blended juice bucket from Italy, although Chateauneuf-du-Pape is in France. But the grapes/juice used were probably all Italian.

The Brunello are grapes on that list are from California, but this is were the gray areas come in.

Brunello is traditionally made with 100% Sangiovese. Sangiovese grapes are listed there from Italy.

Brunello and Sangiovese can be used interchangeably, so those Brunello grapes are either just Sangiovese grapes from Cali or some other grape being passed off as Brunello/Sangiovese.

Last edited:
Anyone else seeing this nonsense from @ceeaton and @Boatboy and grow envious? You guys , along with the countless other members of your central PA/Harford clique make me jealous. I need to hook up with someone during grape pickup and perhaps trade a few bottles. ------@pgentile, I'm looking your way!

I'm in, I will definitely be hitting Proccaci Bros at least twice and probably Gino Pinto's at least once this Sept. So either one would work.

I think we figured out this Spring that you were getting Chilean grapes that came from the same supplier that Harford uses. So no need to be envious. I just wish I was closer to Philly so I could go down to Proccaci Bros and pick up some items, very nice selection on that list.

Usually get my pails & grapes at Corrado's but this year there was no Chilean so had to make the trek down to Gino Pinto's, like 2 or more hours for me and my brother in law and picked up Carmenere. I've never tried this before but the BIL recommended it. Another Big Red for me to love. :h

I think we figured out this Spring that you were getting Chilean grapes that came from the same supplier that Harford uses. So no need to be envious. I just wish I was closer to Philly so I could go down to Proccaci Bros and pick up some items, very nice selection on that list.

No no. Not the precious Lanza Cab. I meant that in terms of having a friendly relationship with other winemakers close by and the ability to exchange bottles, notes etc... btw that's an old list but usually they are pretty consistent. Apparently the source in Cali for Regina juice and the vineyards scaled WAY up a few years ago.

I'm in, I will definitely be hitting Proccaci Bros at least twice and probably Gino Pinto's at least once this Sept. So either one would work.

Rock n roll! That's what I'm talkin about! Sounds like a plan. I'll reach out to you as we get closer to gameday. I think I'll be going to philly (which is where I go every day to work). I still have to iron some things out in terms of crush. But keep me in the loop of your plans.
I didn't find any great deals online, and I didn't want to buy cheapo equipment. I did some calling around. I am mulling over either:
- renting a manual destemmer/crusher for $35 a
day -from Keystone.
- renting a manual crusher for $20 a day (likely-
much closer in fishtown @ Philly homebrew)
- or keystone in Montgomerville does 20 cents/lb. to crush "outside grapes". (Would be ~$50). Keystone homebrew is attached to a winery and is where I sent some samples for testing. (They have a 2nd location in Bethlehem) They do grapes n juice as well, but I prefer ol' faithful at Procacci and don't mind 2 stops if I went that route. It's only $2 a lug to crush if buying their grapes- which I really don't know much about. One day maybe. I know Harford is similar.
Also Same deal for press. $20 a day for 5 gal oak from fishtown, or $25 a day for 40L bladder from keystone. I'm babbling now --- can ya tell I'm excited? [emoji106][emoji389][emoji389][emoji389]

Last edited:
No no. Not the precious Lanza Cab. I meant that in terms of having a friendly relationship with other winemakers close by and the ability to exchange bottles, notes etc...
Now I gotcha (I'm a little slow processing wise today, using it all up on a project I'm working on, yes, I do occasionally work). It is nice to have others try your wine and honestly comment, as well as trying their wines as well. Plus when I go over to @jgmann67 's, I get to sit poolside in the shade, gorge on good cheese and wine, all the while watching his dog Toby swim in the pool, very entertaining. If I imbibe too much my sister lives a mile away. I'm sure my BIL wouldn't mind me turning part of his carpet red...

Usually get my pails & grapes at Corrado's but this year there was no Chilean so had to make the trek down to Gino Pinto's, like 2 or more hours for me and my brother in law and picked up Carmenere. I've never tried this before but the BIL recommended it. Another Big Red for me to love. :h

I have a Carmenere that is 14 months old from Gino's grapes that is pretty darn good at this point.

Rock n roll! That's what I'm talkin about! Sounds like a plan. I'll reach out to you as we get closer to gameday. I think I'll be going to philly (which is where I go every day to work). I still have to iron some things out in terms of crush. But keep me in the loop of your plans.
I didn't find any great deals online, and I didn't want to buy cheapo equipment. I did some calling around. I am mulling over either:
- renting a manual destemmer/crusher for $35 a
day -from Keystone.
- renting a manual crusher for $20 a day (likely-
much closer in fishtown @ Philly homebrew)
- or keystone in Montgomerville does 20 cents/lb. to crush "outside grapes". (Would be ~$50). Keystone homebrew is attached to a winery and is where I sent some samples for testing. (They have a 2nd location in Bethlehem) They do grapes n juice as well, but I prefer ol' faithful at Procacci and don't mind 2 stops if I went that route. It's only $2 a lug to crush if buying their grapes- which I really don't know much about. One day maybe. I know Harford is similar.
Also Same deal for press. $20 a day for 5 gal oak from fishtown, or $25 a day for 40L bladder from keystone. I'm babbling now --- can ya tell I'm excited? [emoji106][emoji389][emoji389][emoji389]

Cool.

I've been checking Craigslist every few days for a crusher and/or press, but there haven't been many deals. The past couple of times I de-stemmed by hand and then crush with a 2x4 in my brutes. And I have a homemade bucket press, which is inadequate when pressing 6+ lugs worth.

I'm familiar with the owners of Philly Home Brew and was talking to Jimmy at their West Philly location a few days ago about renting their press. I live two miles from either of their locations, and even though I'm friends with Nick in Fishtown, I go the West Philly location for anything I need. It's somewhat a pain to get to Fishtown from my 'hood.

I'd love to buy both a de-stemmer/crusher and a press, but don't see myself doing the quantities to justify but I have to do better than the neanderthal way I'm doing things now, so renting the equipment is a good option.

But I do think I want to buy a barrel this year, just have to figure out what size would be best.

I have almost an identical situation. I set up Craigslist to alert me for new wine equipment listings. Majority is just dusty overpriced antiques. And the few that I liked never responded. I did a makeshift bucket press too--for 54 lbs of Chilean, but I used my 9 yr old daughter to crush!
I haven't been to W. Philly spot, but the guys at the Fishtown shop are great. I asked about the press and crusher and they were very accommodating. Drew told me that they pretty much stopped renting equipment altogether, but said it should not be a problem at all to take care of me.
Unfortunately the equipment my family used for grapes was given away 15+ yrs ago when they went all juice pails. I almost bought a cheap combo deal on Amazon for 5 gal oak press n small manual crusher for $180 but it just looked so cheap and I held off. I'll have a better idea of what I want after renting and getting a better feel.
For barrel size, I've been thinking about maybe one that is the exact same size as my demijohn 54L for easy transferring. I don't think I'll be doing batches any bigger than that any time soon. Grapes aren't cheap

We are thinking alike. I just sent you a P.M. about that! And I sent the P.M. before I saw this post.

Just pulled samples of the Lanza Cab and Syrah from the barrels - you know, in the name of science and to help you out. Really, really, really good is all I can say. I really don't think you can go wrong with them. I could honestly bottle them today and really enjoy them, but I know they have greater things in store. Some of it will be blended, but the rest that is bottled as a single varietal will be very good - contest worthy for certain.

Last edited:
Just pulled samples of the Lanza Cab and Syrah from the barrels - you know, in the name of science and to help you out. Really, really, really good is all I can say. I really don't think you can go wrong with them. I could honestly bottle them today and really enjoy them, but I know they have greater things in store. Some of it will be blended, but the rest that is bottled as a single varietal will be very good - contest worthy for certain.

You could always pull a 375 ml bottle worth for the "boys" to sample this Fall if we can get together at Harford. I'm waiting to see what my local guy has available, I emailed him today. At this point I can't afford both, making my decision tougher since I like to support the local growers when I can. A Lanza or Amador Cab will most likely be available next Fall. :(

I may do that. Part of my work in the winery this morning was organizing and assessing where I am container-wise. Originally, I'd planned to blend and bottle some time in late August or early September. I'm trying to see if I can put that off, and still have enough capacity for the 4 new CA batches. Might work. Then I can blend and bottle the 2016's later in Nov or Dec. And Mom and Dad will likely be staying with us for at least a few weeks around then - so I'll have plenty of help. If I delay, I'll see if I can pull a 'shorty' for you. Otherwise, you may get a full bottle of Cab, or a blend.

Which red would you pick? I am thinking Cab Sauv. or similar bold... I am only going to go with one grape this year...

thoughts?

Sangiovese is always high on my list but, I'm leaning towards two other varietals at this point, after researching a bit Valdepena from California appears to be Tempranillo. The other grape intriguing me is Charbono(Bonarda/Douce noir).

I may do that. Part of my work in the winery this morning was organizing and assessing where I am container-wise. Originally, I'd planned to blend and bottle some time in late August or early September. I'm trying to see if I can put that off, and still have enough capacity for the 4 new CA batches. Might work. Then I can blend and bottle the 2016's later in Nov or Dec. And Mom and Dad will likely be staying with us for at least a few weeks around then - so I'll have plenty of help. If I delay, I'll see if I can pull a 'shorty' for you. Otherwise, you may get a full bottle of Cab, or a blend.

Don't feel like you need to pull a bottle for me, but if we can get @jgmann67 , @mainshipfred , @heatherd and possibly a few others, you'd have a captive audience for a tasting! Plus it is usually in the morning so our palettes are "clean". Their tastebuds are better than mine, at least their descriptions are more "flowery" than mine.

I expect some really good posts for meals when your parents are there, if your back from sleeping on the couch doesn't hurt to much to aim the camera...

For me it's not just that but all the nonesense about their 2,3 and 4 year old wines. Heck, my oldest is only aproaching 8 months.

Back