Other If you had one yeast for bold reds

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, been making wine for a while and just now came across this site(wow, am I thrilled!!). So many questions that I’d like to ask of so many of you, but I’ll start with this one. I pretty much only buy premium kits (RJS RQ and EP, WE PR, Mosti Meglioli and Masters and now FWK Forte). Predominately make heavy reds (cab, Merlot, Nebbiolo and Super). Have always used the kit yeast and I am wondering.,,,,if you had just one yeast option to use with these kits, what one would you use (substitute)? PM4x4, EC1118, NC212? Thanks for the replies..

ps- I do want to start playing with GoFerm, Fermaid K, FT Rouge, Llalzyme and Opti Red additions as well so hope there are some threads on using these in kits

visit morewinemaking.com first they have a list of recommended yeasts versus varietals it is one of there information manual. they also have manual for red and white wine making discussing the additives for wine that should be helpful'

visit morewinemaking.com first they have a list of recommended yeasts versus varietals it is one of there information manual. they also have manual for red and white wine making discussing the additives for wine that should be helpful'
Very helpful link, thanks….I am still hoping to get some recommendations/opinions of the seasoned vets on this forum.

And will the additives work the same in kits as they do in fresh must / grapes? The additives articles seem to be focused on fresh grape making.

Last edited:
I have had good experiences with RC-212 (and is what FWK may ship), I have none with BM-4X4 however. Those nutrients are probably good, but I just use the standard powder Yeast Nutrient.

If you can only have 1 yeast: Avante yeast for it's lack of H2S production and favorable fermentation characteristics. Look into the Renaissance yeasts. Extremely favorable experience on my part with them. Quick, clean, reliable and excellent flavors in the end.

Any of the more traditional yeasts like the ones mentioned, come with a risk of H2S production. Not a huge risk, but a risk you don't need to run.

Yes on the nutrient protocol. Go Ferm followed by Fermaid K is a good, reliable default choice.

If you can only have 1 yeast: Avante yeast for it's lack of H2S production and favorable fermentation characteristics. Look into the Renaissance yeasts. Extremely favorable experience on my part with them. Quick, clean, reliable and excellent flavors in the end.

Any of the more traditional yeasts like the ones mentioned, come with a risk of H2S production. Not a huge risk, but a risk you don't need to run.

Yes on the nutrient protocol. Go Ferm followed by Fermaid K is a good, reliable default choice.

Thanks! I am not seeing the ADT-36 Avante yeast for sale on any of the usual websites, where do you find it?

I use Avante for grapes and I split my fruit wines and do half with Avante and half with BM4x4. Interestingly, I prefer the taste of the former and my wife prefers the latter.

I use Avante for grapes and I split my fruit wines and do half with Avante and half with BM4x4. Interestingly, I prefer the taste of the former and my wife prefers the latter.
Where do you get ur Avante from?

I ordered Avante from Lodi Wine Labs. Based upon @CDrew's advice, I purchased 500 g (which is a LOT of yeast) and split the order with one of the guys in our local grape purchase group. I used some and have the remainder in the freezer (his advice was that it freezes well).

Why buy so much? A pair of "barrel size" packets was half the price of a 500 g brick, and I have enough yeast to last for years. Since I am making starters, I'll know before inoculating if the yeast has gone bad.

https://www.lodiwinelabs.com/
Absolutely DO use a nutrient protocol. It doesn't matter which one you use, but use it. Lack of nutrient stresses yeast and can produce H2S, which should be avoided. Avante doesn't produce H2S, but use nutrient anyway to ensure a healthy fermentation.

When using nutrients with the yeast what is the procedure used to add it? I’m all new to using nutrients.

When using nutrients with the yeast what is the procedure used to add it? I’m all new to using nutrients.
The old rule was to stir in the nutrient when mixing the must, at or before inoculation.

Currently, it's recommended to add part up front, and more later on. The up front dose is 1/2 to 2/3 of the calculated amount of nutrient.

The "later" varies, although a common point is when the ferment is 1/3 done, e.g., if the OG was 1.090, add the remaining nutrient when the SG is roughly 1.060 (this does not have to be exact). Finer Wine Kits instructions say to add 48 hours after inoculation.

What to use? That's a wide open answer. A lot of folks like Scott Labs products, including GoFerm (nutrient for yeast starter) and the Fermaid line of products. I've used Fermax for years, and there are other products available.

When adding the nutrient to the must do you mix it with water or just sprinkle it on top like you do the yeast? Does it matter if you add it before or after the yeast?

Back