Ideas for a 750ml bung

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamsterjohn

Reaction score
Hi guys, Im going to be racking in a day or so, and want to save some wine in a 750 or 1500ml bottle. Bung will not get here in time. Any idea on keeping an airlock on. My hardware store here in town sells corks. Natural and rubber ones. Or maybe can I just use duck tape around the airlock and bottle neck? Thanks John

I've not done it but I understand you can freeze a rubber bung ( cork) and drill a hole in it to fit your airlock.

Wait an extra day or two or use a balloon with a pinhole in it.

Yea I agree. Another day or so wil not matter. I would wait till you get the bung.

I had to drill a rubber bung and tried freezing it. Overnite in the freezer did not help. I actually did do it. First a 1/8 bit, then 1/4. The battery powered drill couldn't do it. I had to dig out the old 1/4 in. electric (plug in) drill. It was very hard to do. I had to drill holding it in my hand because the vise changed the shape. I finally got it right using a dremel. It is hard to do, but doable. It was a two hole bung for vacuum racking. :b

Thanks guys, alot of great ideas. In Pleasantville NY,only 10 miles away from me is Prospero Equipment Corp. I new thats where the local people go to buy there grapes in the fall for making home made wine. SO last night I call them, and to my surprize, found out that they sell everything that we use with out kit wines. The only thing that they do not sell are the kits. They had just what I needed, plus glass italian carboys, everything. And no shipping charge. Thanks again for all the replys guys... John

Oh yes, that place sells a lot of wine equipment. I have the catalog right n my desk.

Thanks guys, alot of great ideas. In Pleasantville NY,only 10 miles away from me is Prospero Equipment Corp. I new thats where the local people go to buy there grapes in the fall for making home made wine. SO last night I call them, and to my surprize, found out that they sell everything that we use with out kit wines. The only thing that they do not sell are the kits. They had just what I needed, plus glass italian carboys, everything. And no shipping charge. Thanks again for all the replys guys... John

Prospero is big time disributer they sell machinery to wineries there equipment comes from italy and they also cater to amatuer wine makers they have aline of grapes during the wine season that you cant believe.
carmine

Is this where you get your grapes Carmine cause i know you make some killer wine! Do you bring a Refractometer with you when you buy grapes?

I buy grapes from 4 different suppliers prospero is one of them my refractomoter is with me at all times during grape season.
carmine

Carmine, I was there again on Friday. And they where telling me that in the fall when they are selling there grapes, that they do sell 5 or 6 gallons of crushed grapes. How great is that. I going to try it this fall from them. This would be new to me, making wine from all juice. I didn't ask them, but do they do anything else to the juice? like testing it, and ajusting anything? or would that be all up to me. If so, then I need to do a lot more reading on here!!!

You can ask if they will do testing for you. They used to have a wine maker there that would do testing on wines . They also put in a second refrigeration unit there .I 'm like akid in a candy store when i go there.They sell anything from central valley grapes up to northern cali grapes. like you said they even crush grapes for an extra charge. If you really want hi end grapes go to M&M up in Hartford ct. Frank Musto is areally nice guy. and has a lot of hi end grapes.
carmine

Latest posts

Back