Idea's and new ingredients!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbloke

General Idiot
Reaction score
buckwheat.JPG
Last weekend, the fruits of my labours - well just juggling some organisation to arrange stuff finally arrived.

The picture is of the 14kg bucket of Buckwheat honey I managed to organise with the help of some very helpful chaps, one from over at Gotmead and the other used to work for the same boss as me.

For reasons why I don't quite understand, Buckwheat honey seems to be difficult to obtain, so the chap from Gotmead was kind enough to order it for me and then get it sent the other chaps house (in Poland), who then brought it back with him when he was returning from a family visit.

Now, I understand, that Polish buckwheat honey is very like the "western" buckwheat honey that you can get in the US, and not so "farmyard" as Eastern buckwheat honey is.

It's not as dark as I expected, but it's not very honey like in flavour, there's more of a distinct malty flavour to it. Ha! I can't wait to get a batch going.

I also reckon I could blend some cheap supermarket honey with some malt extract and approximate a similar flavour. I can't wait to try that........

Hell, I might just start using malt extract as like an additional ingredient. I'm not fussy as to whether anyone else likes my meads, if they taste good to me then that's fine :db:dg

Either way, I'm pretty pleased to have finally got hold of some buckwheat honey to try and see how it turns out.......

Dunno what any of you other "meadmeisters" think ???

regards

fatbloke

ohhhhh nummy nummy nummy....im not a "meadmiester"...but it sounds yummy!!!! and i will offer up my services as taste tester LOL!

ohhhhh nummy nummy nummy....im not a "meadmiester"...but it sounds yummy!!!! and i will offer up my services as taste tester LOL!
Well if it was up to me I'd be happy to put some in the post, but my friend down in rural "Oklanowhere" says its a waste as if it gets spotted some states dump it cos of some left over from prohibition, dumb arsed "can't post it" rules......

At least we don't have any fool regs like that......

Shame reaally....

LOL put it in a "juice" container and lable it groceries LMAO!!!

oh well, we lived in england for a while , and the stuff we could NOT ship home was just insane!!

I've been wanting to try a new braggot recipe with buckwheat honey. I've tracked down a few places at farmer's markets that sometimes carry it...It's like basswood honey, hard to find. I am envious of your good fortune on acquiring such a large amount of it. I've managed to get about 6lbs so far I figure the rest of the honey might have to be clover.

Keep us posted on how it goes. I'd love to hear and see your process.

LOL put it in a "juice" container and lable it groceries LMAO!!!

oh well, we lived in england for a while , and the stuff we could NOT ship home was just insane!!
It was Keith who explained a bit about that sort of thing after the local post office ladies told him that I was a bit naughty - but they gave him his parcel anyway - it was only a half bottle of home brewed absinthe (about 80% ABV) since then, and also reading stuff over at Gotmead, well it's been an eye opener that there's still those kind of restrictions in place.

We do get issues with getting booze (all kinds) and cigarettes/tobacco from other EU states, but seeing as how the UK gov, rob us blind in excise duty for anything alcohol related, while they can't nail us if it's a "personal" import i.e. car, train, etc etc, they still try......

Don't mind trying to send samples though, but for a taste of buckwheat, it might be a while. As I tend to be rather lazy and those magical words "bulk ageing" suit my mead making perfectly.....
I've been wanting to try a new braggot recipe with buckwheat honey. I've tracked down a few places at farmer's markets that sometimes carry it...It's like basswood honey, hard to find. I am envious of your good fortune on acquiring such a large amount of it. I've managed to get about 6lbs so far I figure the rest of the honey might have to be clover.

Keep us posted on how it goes. I'd love to hear and see your process.
The chap I mentioned in the earlier post i.e. Keith of Oklanowhere.... and I, have found that the cheapest way to post stuff like honey, is USPS - he managed to ship me a gallon of a really nice Oklahoma wild flower honey and it "only" cost about 70$ to get it to the UK.

I know it's a bit of a distance from Maryland to Oregon, but "The Beefolks" seem to hold a good range of different honeys that you could try. It'd cost to ship, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be anywhere nears as expensive as international postage.

Whereas here, I've only actually found a couple of places that sell Buckwheat honey anyway. One place wanted £8 (about 12$US) per pound, the other place had it for £5 (7.50 $US) per 340 gramme jar. Plus I don't know whether it was "eastern" or "western" buckwheat (or Polish, which I understand is like the slightly milder Western US buckwheat honey).

Ha! to make it worse, my luck in managing to get this from Poland, well it's sort of given me the bug. Someone over at Gotmead has been making a batch that's a mix of Avocado and Buckwheat honey - damn! that looked like they were using molasses it was so dark (well it looked like bitumen in the photos) so now I'm trying to find some of that - though I'd have to get 5 gallons from the states to make that worth while, anything less isn't really cost effective.

So I'd guess that it depends on the value you put on trying a specific type of honey that you can't get locally........

regards

fatbloke

Latest posts

Back