Idea for filling head space

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
What do you all think of my idea for filling head space, zip lock bag that was inserted and filled with water, Picture to follow

Is the bag fully in the carboy? Is there any chance that the water could leak into the wine? Maybe I should wait for the picture. Sounds like a good idea if safe.

how in the heck did u fill with water and then close it...forceps are something.
cheap wine does the trick as steve said.

You just put the ziplock in the carboy and fill with water

Thanks for the reply Steve, I guess why would you want to fill with a cheap bottle of wine when you could do this and keep the low life out of the wine

I can't get the pic to post, but you guys get the idea....just push a zip lock in the carboy and fill with water and zip close and push in carboy

I understand Rob
I actually had a spot that would be in the carboy neck that you could fill and unfill easily with aron gas if you want - in case of any leakage. It was food safe and all and I will tell you that there was not alot of intrest at that time I first introduce it.

Could be you're onto something. Can you easily get your racking cane past the bag? Would you still be sable to rack as much wine as you would with other top off techniques?

I can't get the pic to post, but you guys get the idea....just push a zip lock in the carboy and fill with water and zip close and push in carboy

Did you mean to say... fill with water outside the carboy and then push in?

I like the idea ifin it'll work.

Last edited:
Rob if you are still interested - I do have some extras around
Pm me and we will talk

is it all bad if there is some to space at the top of the carboy? Will 5 or 6 " of space ruin the wine?

Yes 5 to 6 inches will destroy the wine.

What makes you think the bag would leak.

Yes the racking cane will fit around it, I'm telling you guys this could be the answer to adding water or cheap wine, can't believe we didn't think of it sooner

this is a small gas expansion bag....
you could add this to carboy, fill with water and close, somehow, and still use an airlock...are attach to airlock...somethng.

R6000_x600_jpg_600x600_q85.jpg

Latest posts

Back