Icewine Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBBaron

Junior
Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with one of the Icewine kits available from Winexpert or RJ Spagnols?
Both my wife and I enjoy the icewines we have tried in the Lake Erie and Niagara regions. It is one of the few wines or beers that we agree on. However commercial icewines are very expensive so we can seldom afford to indulge.
I have been brewing beer for about a year and have made several meads and a kit wine. When I was browsing one of the online stores I noticed they had icewine kits for a very reasonable price.
I just wanted to know if these kits will produce a wine that would match our expectations based on sampling regional icewines?
Also how long should I expect to age a white icewine before it is ready to drink? Would something made now be ready by Christmas or should I expect to drink it the following winter?

Thanks
Craig

Craig:

I have never made one of the WE or RJS ice wine style kits for myself. I made Vineco's Ken Ridge Classic Icevine kit about 8 years ago. We tried some side-by-side with Inniskillin ice wine and they were definitely similar. I think I preferred the kit version. Any should make a good quality icewine.

IMPORTANT: These kits make 11 litres of ice wine. So buy two kits to make together in a 23 litre (6 US gallon) carboy, or have a 3 US gallon carboy available.

Steve

IMPORTANT: These kits make 11 litres of ice wine. So buy two kits to make together in a 23 litre (6 US gallon) carboy, or have a 3 US gallon carboy available.

Steve

I noticed that these were smaller kits. I had intended to buy a 3gal carboy or better bottle. I figured when I was done with the ice wine I would use the 3gal carboy for some of the meads I have been doing.

Craig

Latest posts

Back