Icelia's Laboratory

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICELIA

Reaction score
Moving into our new house next week. And I have a good 8x10 room in the basement that I am going to turn into a Wine/Cheese Lab.

Here is a photo of it as is.
I am going to strip it, and seal it. Paint the walls white, and make a workbench that goes all around.
I am going to put in bottle racks and all the equipment I need to make lots and lots of wine and cheese.
Going to be here for about 3 years, so that's a lot of wine-making. :)

Keep tuned for updates as I go.

image-1454487898.jpg

I wish I had a dedicated room just for doing wine and beer. You are truly lucky. All 5 of our bedrooms are taken. Master and guest, one is for crafts, my husbands office and his model train room. All are on the second floor except for the guest room. I have made some space in the breakfast nook. But I did the best I can with it.

image-2758164301.jpg

Shelley, how do you protect the wine from so much sunlight. I love the rolling carts idea.

Last edited:
Tonyt, my LHBS guy said that the wooden blinds would be enough as long as they are closed. I am guessing from your question that is not necessarily true. Any suggestions?

I wrap mine (also in breakfast room window) in giant bath towels. And yes I would be concerned especially with whites.

Shelley, you probably do not have them any longer, but I use the box that contained the carboy. I just invert them, cut a hole in the bottom for the airlock and slide them over the carboys. I would recommend more protection from sunlight than your picture shows, particularly for the whites.

ICELIA, love the area and the plan. This is going to make an awesome wine cellar.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I am quite excited, as I have just had a really small corner to make my wine in.
I won't know what to do with all the room!

We are sanding down the floors in the house this weekend, but all I really want to do is start ripping out all the old shelves in the wine-room and building new ones.
I am chomping at the bit!

ShelleyDickison said:
I wish I had a dedicated room just for doing wine and beer. You are truly lucky. All 5 of our bedrooms are taken. Master and guest, one is for crafts, my husbands office and his model train room. All are on the second floor except for the guest room. I have made some space in the breakfast nook. But I did the best I can with it.

Shelley, very pretty wine, I love looking at clear wine in a Carboy. :)

I do too. But that is also a downfall of having it in the open, you always want to keep them full. Empty carboys just don't have the same effect and look lonely sitting on top of the shelves. That's why I am jealous of your room. : ). I asked my husband about moving to a bigger house so I could have another room and got " the look " so I'm guessing it was a no.

Wish I had a basement. There's not many in south Georgia. I, like Shelley, make do with what I have. I use part of our spare bedroom which is an office. Looks like a perfect place, Icelia. Good Luck.

Not a lot of basements on the coast of north Carolina either. If I made one I think I would have to call it an indoor swimming pool. : )

Very cool, ICELIA! Speaking of that, what is the ambient temp down there?

My Lab stays at 67F almost constantly, no matter the temp outside or in the rest of the house. When our electric went out for three days this summer, with heat indicies around 105F outside, in the basement it never changed from 67F.

dangerdave said:
Very cool, ICELIA! Speaking of that, what is the ambient temp down there?

My Lab stays at 67F almost constantly, no matter the temp outside or in the rest of the house. When our electric went out for three days this summer, with heat indicies around 105F outside, in the basement it never changed from 67F.

I haven't put a thermometer down there yet, but I want to keep one on the bench like you have.

I have been really impressed with your lab, and have taken inspiration from you. I especially like your bottle storage cubes. I want to implement that myself.

Looks like I will get to spend a little time ripping and tearing down there sometime this weekend.
I hope to gut it and clean it. Then I can start putting up shelves and flooring down.
I want to seal it completely. Caulk up any holes and keep any bugs out!

I am going to put in a sorta-lab-kitchen as well. I am going to be working on other things besides wine, but that is my primary focus. I will have gas burners, a sink and fridge/freezer Ect.
I am going to whip up all manner of things in there! :)

Latest posts

Back