Ice Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Ice Wine has stopped fermenting at 1.074 in the secondary. It started out at 44 brix. At this point should I just add kmeta and let it sit three months before stabilizing or should I stabilize now? This is seven gallons of late harvest Vidal juice I started with.

It should go lower ( remember the 3 P's?) It took my Ice Wine 2 months to stop. What temp is it?

No problem letting it sit. Should I give it 1/4 tsp of k-meta at this point or just leave it. The temp is 75.2 I figure It will be in the carboy till X-mas.

No problem letting it sit. Should I give it 1/4 tsp of k-meta at this point or just leave it. The temp is 75.2 I figure It will be in the carboy till X-mas.
Are you serious about starting at brix 44? According to the table I just looked at that is an sg of 1.1996. If so you're at 16.6% alcohol.

Don't add k-meta to a wine that you think (or hope) is still fermenting. It may stun the yeast. Your yeast is already stressed by the environment (High sugar, and high alcohol). If you stun it, it probably won't restart.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. Yes the starting brix was 44. When its ready to bottle (Christmas) I plan on blending some cranberry in with it, I know that will affect the abv. and sweetness but thats ok. I will experiment and taste taste taste!

Steve, I picked up another gallon of the late Harvest Vidal for another experimental batch I am making. Instead of taking the suppliers word of 44 brix what I did was mixed 50/50 water and juice which came out to 1.084 and multiplied by 2 which equals 1.172 starting sg. Does this make sense?

Back