Ice Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I tasted a sample of ice wine with chocolate added to it during fermentation. The wine was Cabernet Franc and they used Guittards Chocolate. I can get a similar chocolate locally called burgandy with either 55% or 75% cocoa in it. My question is how do you think this would be with Vidal ice wine and What amount would you put in it? The wine I tasted was really good but a little over powering with the chocolate.

Good chocolate has oils in it so be careful. I remember that if you see those chocolate fountains they say if the chocolate dont have enough oils in to add veg oil so it can be pumped and freely falls in the fountain.
I dont think the powered has oils. butt, its also not as gook.
try a test on some wine before adding to the must.

So you will have to melt it first then. I have never used this type so I am of no help. Was this a commercial Ice wine being something sold in many stores or was this from a local vineyard?

I think its a Late Harvest from Walkers. Right Dan? We are talking about this one..?

It was a local winery and I thought they just dropped the wafers in the must to flavor it like oak chips but now you got me wondering if they did melt it down. I am going to call and try to get some information tomorrow. I think they will give me some information. When I went their to get bottles today he chatted for two hours, gave me a tour and lots of samples. They are only five years old and growing. He even gave me a case of used ice wine bottles which was a nice score.

We used to be able to get some little dark chocolate cups. Pour some ice wine in, drink slowly. Repeat, once or twice. Eat the chocolate cup. Wonderful.

Based on that I can only speculate at what chocolate in the ice wine would be like.

Steve

I just cant see it breaking down much at all even with pectic enzyme, I would ask them approx how much they use. youd be surprised at how much a local winery will tell you about their product but maybe not over the phone thinking you might be another winery or something.

We used to be able to get some little dark chocolate cups. Pour some ice wine in, drink slowly. Repeat, once or twice. Eat the chocolate cup. Wonderful.

Based on that I can only speculate at what chocolate in the ice wine would be like.

Steve

i should try those with ice wine... i've always used them with porto normally

Back