Ice wine sponge cake recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score

I made this for my wine club last Sunday. It was a big hit!

ICEWINE SPONGE CAKE:)

Oven at 300º F. Grease one bundt pan or one 8” or 9” square or round pan.
In large bowl mix together: 1¼ cups sugar
3 eggs
Add: 1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup orange juice (or orange juice blend)
Mix in: 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
5-6 teaspoons Icewine
pinch of salt
Pour into pan. Bake for approx. 40 minutes or until cake is firm and golden.

Buttermilk Bread Montrachet

Couple months ago I made this using Montrachet yeast it was quite good. Will post the recipe if you want.

Does the Ice Wine come through in the cake? I would think the OJ would erase any flavor from the Ice Wine. Sounds interesting.

Not really adds sweetness and flavor. Next time I will add more 1/4c and less OJ. The OJ also added color.

Wow that looks good! I can picture that with some fresh peaches and whipped cream on top.. Yummmmm..

Wine Yeast for Baking

As silly as it sounds, wine yeast can indeed be used for baking, and as in wine, different yeasts will give different results. The bread is the only one I tried, but seen references on the internet to others who have used wine yeast. It took a little longer to rise but it definitely had added a new dimension to the bread, I will do it again. "Wine yeast, not just for breakfast anymore":D
Troy

WhineMaker,
Yes, I served it with Strawberries and whip cream

Arcticsid,
I wonder if anyone tried wine yeast in baking. My thought is it will not tollerate the high temps in the oven. Then again I may be wrong.

I made buttermilk bread. It was great, a little heavier than normal but I was quite surprised it was excellent. I used Montrachet.

Wow yummy.Its seems to be very tasty.I will also prepare.Thanks for sharing the recipe.I will definiely try it.

I made this for my wine club last Sunday. It was a big hit!

ICEWINE SPONGE CAKE:)

Oven at 300º F. Grease one bundt pan or one 8” or 9” square or round pan.
In large bowl mix together: 1¼ cups sugar
3 eggs
Add: 1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup orange juice (or orange juice blend)
Mix in: 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
5-6 teaspoons Icewine
pinch of salt
Pour into pan. Bake for approx. 40 minutes or until cake is firm and golden.

This really sound delicious and I will definitely give it a try. I hope that the cake will taste good. Besides this I hope that it is not too difficult because I am actually not a very good baker. Let's hope the best and try it.

Trust me it's good. You can add more Ice Wine for better flavor.

I wonder if anyone tried wine yeast in baking. My thought is it will not tollerate the high temps in the oven. Then again I may be wrong.

I thought the yeast's function in baking was primarily to create bubbles (cause the dough to rise). Once in the oven, I would think the temps would kill any yeast strain.

ooh science.. !!..

The further rising of bread in the oven, I would have thought attributed to the water molecules in the airpockets .. turning to vapour in the heat.. and expanding..

Allie

hey Tom?

I've got a half bottle of the choc rasp port open from a tasting on friday..

Was thinking I would substitute it for the icewine..

Alternatively.. I'm going to freeze the leftover amount from the bottle and add it to muffin recipes rather than see it go off and waste in the bottle.

Allie

ooh science.. !!..

The further rising of bread in the oven, I would have thought attributed to the water molecules in the airpockets .. turning to vapour in the heat.. and expanding..

Allie

Oh no, you mean it isn't the cooker fairies? :h

Back