I was offered some Chambourcin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
A fella 1/2 mile down the road from me has a vineyard and sells to local wineries. Evidently he has some Chambourcin, but not enough to sell to the commercial outfits, so he offered me some.

I have not done any grape wines or kits. My experience is limited to 30-some batches of country wines, but I make them all from scratch so I can make my way through acid adjustments, pH testing, etc. I don't have a destemmer, press, etc, but I know folks who do.

Any advice on home winemaking with Chambourcin?

It makes a wonderful wine. You might want to do a malolactic fermentation on it, but might not. I have done it both ways, it really depends on the year and the acid levels and ph. Chambourcin likes oak, but can get overly oaky fairly easily, so be careful. I don't have my notes in front of me, but I remember that I used RC212 as the yeast.

If you don't want them, I would be more than happy to drive the 75 miles to Fulton and get them.

Last edited:
I agree with all of the above and would add that it can be rather dark and tannic. I would recommend a short maceration (say only 4 days).

The only thing I can add is - Do It!

I love Chambourcin. Watch acid(s) and tannins and go for it.

I agree with all of the above and would add that it can be rather dark and tannic. I would recommend a short maceration (say only 4 days).

Thanks everyone.

Follow up question...when you say short maceration, does that mean getting it off of the seeds/skins?

Stressbaby said:
Thanks everyone.

Follow up question...when you say short maceration, does that mean getting it off of the seeds/skins?

Right. From crush to the time pressing is done is your maceration. White wines have a short maceration period.

I am in Columbia and got some from LBVineyard last year. I followed a recipe in Winemaker Magazine. I used oak chips and for a young wine I am happy with it.

I'm supposed to get the Chambourcin in the next 1-2 weeks.
Follow up question regarding the general process...I don't understand the general order...

Crush > Kmeta to hold off fermentation > macerate ~3 days > press > pitch yeast
or:
Crush > pitch yeast > macerate ~3 days > press

If it is the second way, press would inevitably occur in the middle of fermentation, is that OK?
And is the maceration better done cold or room temp?

Follow the first way, then ferment to dry or around 1.000 then press and transfer to carboy to complete secondary fermentation.

BOB

I, too, am going to start a batch of Chambourcin soon and I have a question about enzymes. I had planned to use Lallzyme EX, but I have seen a couple of posts from professional winemakers that say not to use enzymes with either native or native/hybrid grapes. What is the wisdom of the folks who make Chambourcin? I am planning a batch of Norton, too.....

Latest posts

Back