I want to try wine from raisins. Any suggetions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest maybe adding some type of fruit as well, maybe frozen sour cherries or berries, to give the wine some attitude. But you can no doubt make raisin wine ..

I've made a couple 1 gallon batches of golden raisin wine from Terry Garey The Joy of Home Winemaking. I liked them and just used ec1118 yeast. I blended the raisins after an overnight soak and put them in a mesh bag for fermentation. I find that it has a sherry-like quality. Cheers.

I've made a couple 1 gallon batches of golden raisin wine from Terry Garey The Joy of Home Winemaking. I liked them and just used ec1118 yeast. I blended the raisins after an overnight soak and put them in a mesh bag for fermentation. I find that it has a sherry-like quality. Cheers.
I wonder if the fact that the raisins have been so exposed to air as they dried that the oxidized fruit carries a sherry flavor.

only thing i can add is before freezing your raisins' chop them up or run through the blender, I have a cast iron press from a commercial winery from Napa valley, that had been in use since 1880, i used it for several years, about 3 years ago i thawed out jumbo golden raisins , the raisins broke my press plate in half, it sounded like a shot gun going off, the mighty little raisin,, not gets chopped or blended before i freeze them, I'd pressed pears, apples and other fruit, now all had been frozen before pressing, who'd thunk
Dawg

Back